Twenty Bucks For A Used Gas Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Well, after twenty years and three months I finally had to buy a part for Old Yaller the 65cc Poulan Pro 405+. Otherwise known as the Pioneer/Partner P39 Plus. Me and that thing have over a hundred cords under our belts together. At twenty three pounds I groan every time I think about picking it up anymore but the torque from that thing is mind boggling and it has to come alive when big white oaks call. Which two are doing this week. Two huge ones. One a leaner. But the gas cap has succumbed to the swelling induced by the corn liquor that they put in gas these days and it is a fifteen minute job with Channel Locks to get the cap off and back on. So after that drill today to fuel it up and get it ready to attack at least one of the oaks I went searching on the web tonight. Even with very strong Google Fu the only one to be found was on eBay from a guy in Canada. Used. Twenty bucks including shipping. Ouch. Did it. Can't bring myself to part with this heavy sucker, that could rip a Pontiac in half, over a gas cap. I kinda wish it was something more serious than a gas cap. Then I would get one of those lighter niftier saws. For 165 pounds of worn out old fool that thing gets tiresome. Until it goes into the cut and starts eating wood. Then adrenaline kicks in and I can't stop until it runs out of gas. Then I am whipped worse than the tree.

And no, can't get corn liquor free gas anywhere around here that I have been able to find.

Attachments

• old yaller.jpg
    old yaller.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,216
Nice saw
What is the bar length?
Time to treat your self. You've earned it for sure. Go kick the tires on them, fun if nothing else.
New saws sooo much lighter weight.
///
Husq 357xp about 12 lbs., got power too. I know I'm sure looking into a new one,
maybe the 346 xp (11 lbs). Easy on the back is my main reason.
For gas, got a small airport around you? go buy some aviation gas (no corn in it), cost is more but just
use it for chain saw, may have it in metal 5 gal can, mix & it will last a long time.

We got just gas here, too much $$ to ship corn liquid here, good thing IMO.
I got a 1982 saw, that has/is a good saw, just heavy & now parts are tough to get.
Old saw not worth anything but, I figure I can keep it for spare. (loaner)

My Poulan has the same cap issue, along with a bad valve which now allows fuel to leak out until it gets to about 1/3 tank. I cut infrequently with the saw for a decade, just used to clean up downed trees on the property. About 2 1/2 years ago started cutting for firewood. Cut about 20 cords for wood and it is starting to suffer. Last week, after months of looking, asking and researching, I opted for the Husky 359. 12.1 lbs, 59cc, 3.7 hp. Now I know what a real saw is. Cuts 4-5 times faster than the old one. It is similar to the 357xp with a different stroked engine. The 357xp is 3.9 hp, but otherwise the same saw, and runs $150 more. I got it for under 500. I opted for that series because I wanted to have the ability to mount a 24 inch bar, and this unit can handle that. The 346xp is not able to run 24.

I have its 'bigger brother',a 475w/77cc.That screaming beast is 15lbs,over 20 with 24" or longer bar & runs 125000RPM no load,about 9600 when cutting.Bought it new in Apr.'94 to power Alaskan mill,I had it in a 32" Hickory a few years back & it did NOT bog down.Its the same saw as the former Partner 7700 & its twin far as parts go Jonsered 2077.All 3 were made in same Swedish factory.Milled a few thick Walnut blocks with it Monday & Wednesday,I must be getting old,because that compression is still incredible.I have to kneel down,place left knee on cylinder cover,right boot in loop to hold saw down while pulling starter rope.I'm only 175pounds & it takes most of my strength some days to pull it.Sure wish it had a decompression button like the 415 & 505 models did...

Attachments

• Poulan 475- 36in. bar.jpg
    Poulan 475- 36in. bar.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • poulan 475.jpg
    poulan 475.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 944
  • alaskan mill 1.jpg
    alaskan mill 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 659
I have always run a 20" bar on the saw. And yeah, the compression release on it makes starting it no problem. Then after it starts ya gotta pick it up. :mad:

Dry weight without oil, gas, bar and chain is 18 pounds. I almost ordered the 655 instead of ordering this one back then. Sure glad I didn't.

It blows my mind that you can not find regular gas there, all over the place here and we make the cornhole stuff right here.

$20 is still cheaper than a new saw.

How long will the new used one take to swell up like the old one?

Backwoods Savage said:
$20 is still cheaper than a new saw.

+1 Precisely. I got my old Echo running again last week,all it cost was $10 for new air filter & sparkplug,15 minutes cleaning/carb adjustment.Better than $200+ for a comparable new saw right now.

Thistle said:
I have its 'bigger brother',a 475w/77cc.That screaming beast is 15lbs,over 20 with 24" or longer bar & runs 125000RPM no load,about 9600 when cutting.Bought it new in Apr.'94 to power Alaskan mill,I had it in a 32" Hickory a few years back & it did NOT bog down.Its the same saw as the former Partner 7700 & its twin far as parts go Jonsered 2077.All 3 were made in same Swedish factory.Milled a few thick Walnut blocks with it Monday & Wednesday,I must be getting old,because that compression is still incredible.I have to kneel down,place left knee on cylinder cover,right boot in loop to hold saw down while pulling starter rope.I'm only 175pounds & it takes most of my strength some days to pull it.Sure wish it had a decompression button like the 415 & 505 models did...

Let the 880 run out of gas and your in for a dog fight of your life....You can feel every muscle you have after 15 pulls. I bet it will take more than 30....Not forget to fuel up. Rule #1!

I wonder if you could use a plug from something else in it. Maybe build up a boat plug or find one in the PVC section of HD.

Matt

Heck 20 bucks, spend it! Keep that thing going.

someone, somewhere, posted that they have two caps and that they swap them back and forth BECAUSE leaving the cap on a shelf will dry it out and shrink it down some. Do I know that to be true from my own experience? NOPE. Just throwing that out there.

Danno77 said:
someone, somewhere, posted that they have two caps and that they swap them back and forth BECAUSE leaving the cap on a shelf will dry it out and shrink it down some. Do I know that to be true from my own experience? NOPE. Just throwing that out there.

That makes sense bet it would work on the stihl saws as well. Oil side would keep the rubber from routing out.

Danno77 said:

I heard that too. Gonna try it.

Thanks for the info, BB, I hadn't heard that. I have an old Craftsman 42cc that runs fine but is almost impossible to remove/replace the gas cap. Now I know why. (I think Poulan made/makes the Craftsman saws, so that'd make sense.)

BrotherBart said:
Well, after twenty years and three months I finally had to buy a part for Old Yaller the 65cc Poulan Pro 405+. Otherwise known as the Pioneer/Partner P39 Plus. Me and that thing have over a hundred cords under our belts together. At twenty three pounds I groan every time I think about picking it up anymore but the torque from that thing is mind boggling and it has to come alive when big white oaks call. Which two are doing this week. Two huge ones. One a leaner. But the gas cap has succumbed to the swelling induced by the corn liquor that they put in gas these days and it is a fifteen minute job with Channel Locks to get the cap off and back on. So after that drill today to fuel it up and get it ready to attack at least one of the oaks I went searching on the web tonight. Even with very strong Google Fu the only one to be found was on eBay from a guy in Canada. Used. Twenty bucks including shipping. Ouch. Did it. Can't bring myself to part with this heavy sucker, that could rip a Pontiac in half, over a gas cap. I kinda wish it was something more serious than a gas cap. Then I would get one of those lighter niftier saws. For 165 pounds of worn out old fool that thing gets tiresome. Until it goes into the cut and starts eating wood. Then adrenaline kicks in and I can't stop until it runs out of gas. Then I am whipped worse than the tree.

And no, can't get corn liquor free gas anywhere around here that I have been able to find.

If you want liquor free gas try any air port for fuel they can't screw with that gas at least not yet costly but good stuff and won't go bad like the crap we are made to use. Most small ports will sell ya five gals good to use in all small engions.

The guy who sold you the used gas cap obviously thought the gas cap was something special.

I think you should have offered to sell him a saw to go with his gas cap. You probably could have made $350 out of the deal and he would have been tickled to get his precious gas cap back up an running. I wonder how many cords of wood that guy and his gas cap had cut before his saw went kapoot.

BrotherBart said:

Even the premium gas out there contains Ethanol?
Our Premium is ethanol free, but the regular contains 10% ethanol. Mid-grade contains ~ 5%.

Jimbob said:
BrotherBart said:

Even the premium gas out there contains Ethanol?

Yep. 10%.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

That makes sense bet it would work on the stihl saws as well. Oil side would keep the rubber from routing out.

Smokinjay,

I think you misunderstood danno's post. I think he meant swapping the two caps back and forth between the chainsaw and the shelf, not between the gasoline tank and the bar oil tank (if I understood your post correctly :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.