Twisty, knotty oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Wright

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2013
Delaware
www.nwedj.com
Worked up just shy of a half cord of pin oak Saturday. Boy, is this stuff a bear to split. Noodled into quarters, it shreds and fights every inch of the way. Have split a lot of oak in my time but I ain't never seen anything like this. There's 4 rounds left to go, they're gonna wait for another day.

The rest is red maple. Big knotty rounds for the most part but I'm hoping they'll be a bit easier to work up.

100_0097.JPG 100_0098.JPG 100_0099.JPG 100_0100.JPG 100_0103.JPG 100_0104.JPG

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I guessed that because I am presently working my way through an ash that came from my own yard. So far it is either noodle or sledge and wedge work. On the other hand an apple has been falling apart using just the Fiskars.

I just ran into some ash lengths I bucked from a Telephone pole straight log, but it turns out they shared a common ancestor with a barber shop pole...To every grain, turn, turn, turn...

Yup, pretty sure these blocks came from a yard tree, or it was growing in open space. There's little easy stuff here; I guess the tree guys kept the rest to split and sell. Not that I blame 'em. Will split what I can, noodle the rest.

Growth rings are the widest I've seen in an oak; 3/4" thick in some places. That was one fast growing tree.

Growth rings are the widest I've seen in an oak; 3/4" thick in some places. That was one fast growing tree.
I saw that recently on a young Pin Oak that my BIL cut down. It was on the north side of his house, and I guess it was trying to grow fast to get up to the light.

Reactions: Fred Wright
The oak is done, started on the maple. Noodled a few, stopped to sharpen and found the drive sprocket bearing a bit tight in spots. No more cutting today, put the toys away and ordered the parts I need.

Spent the rest of the afternoon splitting smaller stuff, what I could lift. It's gettin' there. :)

100_0110.JPG 100_0111.JPG 100_0112.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.