Twitch and Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
This looks like a pretty good machine. The guy running it looks familiar. Can't find the member now but his avatar looks a lot like this guy in the video, from Pennsylvania if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Nixon and smokinj
Aw hell, I already Twitch 'n Split without all the expensive, noisy machinery. :p

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Hogz is from Pa and he runs a 361. . . There is a resemblance.

He has one Bad @$$ splitter if thats him :) although I doubt it. Im sure we would have seen some pics.

Pretty cool & not cheap I imagine.In the time he cut & split that handful I'd have 3 wheelbarrows worth cut/split using my sawbuck & X25. A bit more effort though....;)

Reactions: ScotO
A) way too slow IMHO.
B) I NEVER EVER get logs that straight.......NEVER!
C) It's only splitting them in half. I'd want those rounds split at LEAST 4-ways.
D) GOTTA be mega-expensive!

Neat to see it, but I'll stick to the manual labor;)

Reactions: Thistle
I don't think there is an easy way to make firewood, it's a lot of work however it gets done. I thought that guy looked like hogz, thought I might ask and see if it is.

I don't believe that is Hogz.

The cycle time of that machine is painfully slow. Just standing there holding on to the saw during the split is a waist of energy.

Now if he could swivel mount that saw - speed up the splitter and put a 4 way wedge on it - he could really have something. But of course, that assumes pole straight stock to feed it. Nice concept, but it needs to be Jags-er-ized.;lol

Look again at the beginning of the video, he is using a 4 way wedge there.
Yep - you are correct. I still think there are other improvements that could make this thing a whole bunch more productive. Swinging that saw by hand would have to go.

Last year on AS somebody said it goes for four thousand dollars.

That is correct at $4000.00

Somehow I still fail to see how this is economical or fast. I try to imagine it compared to how I process wood. First, I cut the tree and buck it up right on the spot. He cuts the tree and perhaps just cuts off the limbs and that wood goes to waste? Then he has to skid the logs to the spot he places his machine. Then he has to hook a cable onto the log to pull it into the machine. Then he saws and stands there while the splitter (slow) does its thing, etc, etc. Then when you consider all the dollars it takes to have the machinery to do this (skidding the logs plus the splitter), I fail to see any economy. It really does not look fast at all to me.

That is correct at $4000.00

Somehow I still fail to see how this is economical or fast. I try to imagine it compared to how I process wood. First, I cut the tree and buck it up right on the spot. He cuts the tree and perhaps just cuts off the limbs and that wood goes to waste? Then he has to skid the logs to the spot he places his machine. Then he has to hook a cable onto the log to pull it into the machine. Then he saws and stands there while the splitter (slow) does its thing, etc, etc. Then when you consider all the dollars it takes to have the machinery to do this (skidding the logs plus the splitter), I fail to see any economy. It really does not look fast at all to me.
Well said, Sav! It's nothing more than a $4000.00 gimmick if you ask me. I'd rather buy a used truck and trailer to haul wood in than that monster!

Most of the stuff I'm cutting is too crooked,gnarly,or twisted to fit in that conveyor thingy anyway.Smaller stuff from 1 1/2" to 4" is cut on older miter saw,larger up to 10" in the sawbuck.

I still prefer an axe, maul and wedge.
Great execise but these inventions do look wicked cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.