Two appliances in one chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
This is a cross post.. there's a thread over in the fireplace forum that I'd really like some "gassers" input on.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45595/

Not that those fireplace guys don't know what's up.. but I'm curious to see what you guys think of my potential setup. I DO have other ways around the idea.. most easy, but not cheapest would be a "power vent" to direct vent my boiler. But that would require me to change to a reillo burner, and that's not simple for running my biodiesel. Of course.. if I burn wood like I should.. I don't even need the oil setup. But for the first few years I REALLY want the backup.

Anyway.. please take a look at thread above and offer opinions. Thanks

JP

Hi
Up north here where we get a lot of Winter,we are allowed two heating units in the same chimney .The oil connection has to be higher on the chimney than the wood.
I have a 8" the wood gos straight in and up,the oil comes in from the side about 3' up from the wood connection.I have a barometric damper on the oil pipe,it's 6"
Many homes have dual fuel here and no problems when the wood end of thins is properly maintained.
Thomas

Thanks.

I agree it's not IDEAL, but I didn't put in a double when I built it.

The way the system is set up.. it should be electrically impossible to run both at the same time.

I COULD go even further and trip the reset on the oil boiler, and add a manual flue damper that could be closed on the wood side. From what I understand of the Vigas operation though, the flue damper in the unit closes completely after the temp drops (when it realizes it's out of fuel)

I'd like to have a simple way for my wife to "bail out" on using wood when I am away. I really feel running the vigas will be easy, and she won't have any issues. I really don't think that it will be necessary to shut off the oil boiler. BUT, If I had to just leave her a note that says.. close damper on wood side after fire is out.... punch red button on oil boiler.. and she's back in business.. it might make me feel better. She's pretty savvy, and has even changed a nozzle on the boiler (back when I was running straight Biofuel) just having me on the phone talking her thru it.

JP

I’d like to have a simple way for my wife to “bail out†on using wood when I am away. I really feel running the vigas will be easy, and she won’t have any issues. I really don’t think that it will be necessary to shut off the oil boiler. BUT, If I had to just leave her a note that says.. close damper on wood side after fire is out…. punch red button on oil boiler.. and she’s back in business.. it might make me feel better. She’s pretty savvy, and has even changed a nozzle on the boiler (back when I was running straight Biofuel) just having me on the phone talking her thru it.

JP

Hang on to HER.

In Maine the rule is one flue one appliance as far as I know. The rule change they were talking about was to continue to grandfather prior installs.

Why take the risk, small or large, if something goes wrong it doesn't seem worth it to me. Insurance company will blame you and not pay any claims from your negligence.

I know around here in q , some insurance company accept two aplliance on the same flue. IE one wood stove & one oil furnance, but not 2 wood firing appliance. I think it should be ok. But trying to avoid running both appliance at the same time is a good pracice.

Status
Not open for further replies.