Two Common Birds of Cape Cod Mass !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Pic 1
When I was at the cape this weekend, I drive into the white & gray McDonald's in Yarmouth on RT 28 and parked next to the Seagull in the next parking spot and he did not even move!

Pic 2
In the Gazebo at the Hotel I stayed out back next to the pool above the speaker was a Doves nest.
See Mother left and baby on right!

Attachments

• CapeCodSeagullinRT28McDonaldsParkingLotYarmouthMAsc.jpg
    CapeCodSeagullinRT28McDonaldsParkingLotYarmouthMAsc.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 312
  • CapeCodeMother&BabyDovesSC.jpg
    CapeCodeMother&BabyDovesSC.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 302
I haven't noticed the birds in the second picture very often here in Connecticut, (but then again, I'm not "on the Cape"), but the seaguls are around here as well. Many of them, in many locations. They are a classier bird (imho) in appearance, than your average Sparrow, or Barn Swallow. (when they are clean, that is)

-Soupy1957

The gull is a second summer greater black backed gull. Common in New England, but has a very limited range. GBBs take four years to mature, and have a different plumage in the winter and summer of each of those years. In other words, this bird has 8 changes of feather before it's fully an adult. It's a gorgeous adult. I think the largest gull species.

Because of the varying juvenile plumages, gull identification is a higher order skill in the birding world. It separates the men from the boys :lol: I was always too lazy to really learn my gulls.

http://carolinabirds.org/HTML/NA_Gull.htm

The dove is a mourning dove.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
The gull is a second summer greater black backed gull. Common in New England, but has a very limited range. GBBs take four years to mature, and have a different plumage in the winter and summer of each of those years. In other words, this bird has 8 changes of feather before it's fully an adult. It's a gorgeous adult. I think the largest gull species.

Because of the varying juvenile plumages, gull identification is a higher order skill in the birding world. It separates the men from the boys :lol: I was always too lazy to really learn my gulls.

http://carolinabirds.org/HTML/NA_Gull.htm

The dove is a mourning dove.

Wow, thanks for the expert info!

When we go Striped bass fishing, we throw the leftover bait to the gulls if no one around us wants them. The gulls will swallow a whole herring or mackerel down in just seconds.

We have mourning doves that nest in our yard every spring/summer. Their nests are so sparse, that they only use a handful of sticks to keep the eggs from rolling out.

Robins on the other hand, make a beautiful nest of mud and dried grass that are very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.