Two Cord/ Edit 8:59 1-11-2011 2.17 cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
With what we burned for shoulder season wood plus some sugar maple plus when we finish off what is inside we will have burned two cord so far this heating season.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2420.jpg
    100_2420.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 662
Someday I need to make purty stacks too, so I'll actually KNOW how much wood I'm burning, instead of going through life saying "I burn about 8 cord . . ."

Better get cutting!!!! LOL

FireAnt said:

FireAnt, if mother nature will hold off on the snow and give us the month of January for cutting I'll be happy.

Happy New Year
Zap

zapny said:
FireAnt said:

FireAnt, if mother nature will hold off on the snow and give us the month of January for cutting I'll be happy.

Happy New Year
Zap

Ditto!! I've got plenty to cut on, but the weather hasn't cooperated very well. I've almost run out a few times already.

I measured at the end of December. According to my spreadsheet I had burned about 255,000 cubic inches of wood or about 1.153 Cords. That's a little over 34% of my supply.

Danno77 said:
I measured at the end of December. According to my spreadsheet I had burned about 255,000 cubic inches of wood or about 1.153 Cords. That's a little over 34% of my supply.

WOW!! ..and here I thought I kept track of what we use!! For now we track by the pallets the wood is on knowing how much each pallet or skid held. We are approaching 2 cords right now. Just had one of our colder Decembers on record so I feel good about usage to this point.
I guess I'll have a better detailed account once the wood shed is built.

zap,
we're at about 1.5 cord used so far, give or take a few cu. inches :cheese: , so at this rate, we might use less than 4 cord this winter. That would be unheard of for us, because for the last 4 years we've used 4 2/3 cord/year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

zapny said:
FireAnt said:

Happy New Year
Zap

I hear ya. I have been trying to get some splitting in the past couple days. We may get snow this weekend...

The weather is good enough first thing in the morning to fetch from the woods. Frozen fields until about 11 am. Got a load each morning this week and 3 on Sunday. I split right off the trailer to avoid picking up off the ground. The bigger logs are 24 inch long and around 24 diameter, some larger at trunk spits. Works for me......

PapaDave said:
zap,
we're at about 1.5 cord used so far, give or take a few cu. inches :cheese: , so at this rate, we might use less than 4 cord this winter. That would be unheard of for us, because for the last 4 years we've used 4 2/3 cord/year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PapaDave, if we can burn only four cord heating from the basement we would be happy. For the next heating season I plan on having 2-3 cord of aspen for the shoulder season which will save on our hardwood, I have about 2 cord cut and split plus stacked.

zap

zapny said:
which will save on our hardwood

That's my strategy Zap. You get a stretch like we are in right now and you go right back to that shoulder pile even in January.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
which will save on our hardwood

That's my strategy Zap. You get a stretch like we are in right now and you go right back to that shoulder pile even in January.

SolarAndWood, what type of wood do you burn for your shoulder season?

zap

Generally chunks and uglies, have a load in now. I think I have only burned 1/2 cord of the good stuff so far and that was during that cold stretch when the heap was buried in snow. I got about 8 cord of silver maple this year though and haven't burned it before. Split it big, we'll see how it fits in the mix.

SolarAndWood said:
Generally chunks and uglies, have a load in now. I think I have only burned 1/2 cord of the good stuff so far and that was during that cold stretch when the heap was buried in snow. I got about 8 cord of silver maple this year though and haven't burned it before. Split it big, we'll see how it fits in the mix.

Similar to Cherry, I think you'll like it. Second year burning and heating the house with blow down cherry with some sugar maple for overnight burns.

zap

You miss not having 70 inches plus of snow?

zap

zapny said:
You miss not having 70 inches plus of snow?

It is amazing how fast it went. 3 weeks ago to this weekend...

Attachments

• 121010 covered heap.jpg
    121010 covered heap.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 423
  • 010111 heap.jpg
    010111 heap.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 445
zapny said:
PapaDave said:
zap,

PapaDave, if we can burn only four cord heating from the basement we would be happy. For the next heating season I plan on having 2-3 cord of aspen for the shoulder season which will save on our hardwood, I have about 2 cord cut and split plus stacked.

zap

I have no idea why I missed your response, but that's my plan too.
I'm shooting for popple and spruce though. I've got both, but my sis-in-laws place has some HUGE popple, and some are on the ground already. :coolsmile:
I had some spruce this past fall, and that worked great to start the season. I bought the oak, so anytime I can save some of it, it's good.

PapaDave said:
zapny said:
PapaDave said:
zap,

zap

I have no idea why I missed your response, but that's my plan too.
I'm shooting for popple and spruce though. I've got both, but my sis-in-laws place has some HUGE popple, and some are on the ground already. :coolsmile:
I had some spruce this past fall, and that worked great to start the season. I bought the oak, so anytime I can save some of it, it's good.

PapaDave, we will start burning wood from the third stack tonight which leaves us with a total of 1.83 cords left of cherry that I had planned on burning this year. Sugar Maple burned this year is less then .31 of a cord so we will see if that cherry will get us to April.

zap

zap you are not burning 24/7 are you? I would think you would have burned more by now if you were. I have not kept track but I am sure I burned more than 2 cords just burning mostly in the evenings and weekends.

By this] weekend I will have burned four full cords of hardwoods for 2010-11. It seems crazy to me how much wood I burn in my stoves compared to so many others here at Hearth.com. I do run the Heritage 24/7 and the Jotul has seen a lot of burning since the temps have been below 32* so much. Old 1800"s house doesn't help it either. Luckily I have been able to find some dead elm which should get me through the season(I hope)

GolfandWoodNut said:
zap you are not burning 24/7 are you? I would think you would have burned more by now if you were. I have not kept track but I am sure I burned more than 2 cords just burning mostly in the evenings and weekends.

Yes we are burning 24/7. Junk wood for the shoulder season was .62 of a cord, then what was in the picture. This year we have been burning down the coals more which has helped.

I'm keeping track so it should be real close, we have burned some hardwood this year but not much. Hardwood burned so far is less then .31 of a cord.

zap

2 full cord and 2 face cords so far give or take. Yep, that is 24/7. Our furnace has ran a little but not much...

close to 3 cord so far third year with gassifer some was standing dead but it still seems like a lot. But who cares because we're toasty warm and the grandaughter loves checking the stove with me and that makes all the work worthwhile.

Just under 2 cords this year. 24/7 burner. About 1/3 of that was pine ( shouder season & mornings )

Love the wood. My heating bill is only $50 each month.

This is year 2. And I'm z2 tears ahead

2 years ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.