Two days to Christmas.... Fifty Two degrees outside!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
:(

At least I get to give the stove a good cleaning

We are not quite that warm (30's) but I'm back to burning shoulder season wood during the day. Man, I really don't like box elder.... at least I hope I use it up soon....

Holy crap . . . it's been mild up here this Fall and Winter . . . but I'm blown away by the temps some of you are describing . . . we're getting temps more akin to what Shari is getting.

Almost 60 in CT yesterday. Mild today. Finally lit the stove back up. It will be in the 20's tonight low 30's tomorrow.

-7 hear last night with -17wind chill.. I was nice and warm in the house tho. Pat

Sitting @ 8 above zero as we speak. Supposed to be up to 34 by tuesday and possible rain showers. Strange fall and start to winter so far.

Have to say I'm diggin this global warming thing.

38F was the high yesterday. 50F today. I have a real wimp fire going now, but just one or two splits at a time.

I've been most grateful for the warm weather we've had, as it goes easier on my woodpile. But we are heading into the cold temps now. I saw the thermometer drop ten degrees tonight in less than an hour; fortunately, it didn't keep moving at that rate! Sitting at z2ero now, but heading down another 20-30 degrees in the next few days. This will put my stove and my firewood to the test. This will be one winter I'll be glad to see end.

I feel much better now.. 40 yesterday, 24 overnight, high of 30 today.

The encore is just purring along, with the new insulation I held the house at 70 overnight on a 4 split load :) :)

Merry Christmas eve folks!

snowleopard said:
I've been most grateful for the warm weather we've had, as it goes easier on my woodpile. But we are heading into the cold temps now. I saw the thermometer drop ten degrees tonight in less than an hour; fortunately, it didn't keep moving at that rate! Sitting at z2ero now, but heading down another 20-30 degrees in the next few days. This will put my stove and my firewood to the test. This will be one winter I'll be glad to see end.

I don't blame you. The big high that has been sitting over the northwest has pushed a lot of bad weather up to AK. How much snow have you seen so far?

It's been weird weather, but I'm not on-board with global warming. Climate always changes if you look at weather cycles over the millenium. Al Gore is the pitchmen for warming and creating new taxes on production because of it. He also told everyone that we needed to have NAFTA, and manufacturing jobs would increase in the US

It was cold in Chicago last night. The ground was frozen. The night before, the ground was soft. I'm just greatful for no snow duty yet!

BeGreen said:
I don't blame you. The big high that has been sitting over the northwest has pushed a lot of bad weather up to AK. How much snow have you seen so far?

[sighs. gets up from in front of nice warm computer. gets measuring tape and sticks bare feet in bunny boots. stomps outside.]

The top of the kindling box has about 8" on it. I had that open a few weeks ago, and the deck I swept off at the same time has about the same amount. Underneath the fresh powder is a more compact layer, as we had some warming a month or so ago, and the layer we had then settled. I'd say it's a couple of feet thick in the trees, but I did not stomp out there to find out.

Nice skiing snow--compacted layer and then thick powder on top of it. Sky is blue, sun is setting. It's 2:11 in this time zone.

28 here a ten at night and headed down. Plenty cold enough for me.

Of course we will be in the mid-fifties and muddy again by noon tomorrow.

BrotherBart said:
28 here a ten at night and headed down. Plenty cold enough for me.

Of course we will be in the mid-fifties and muddy again by noon tomorrow.

Same here... going down to 15F here or so tonight, then up the 45F ish tomorrow. Gonna clean the boost baffle tomorrow & paint the kitchen %-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Same here... going down to 15F here or so tonight, then up the 45F ish tomorrow. Gonna clean the boost baffle tomorrow & paint the kitchen %-P

Before I hit the sack I am hitting the button on the slow cooker with the pot roast in it. And am going to do nothing tomorrow but pig out on that thang and a mountain of mashed potatoes and gravy.

I'm also going to work on finishing up my resume.

New Year coming up ;-)

Crazy here. It was 51F at 2PM and is 50F right now at 8PM. We are having seafood, crab and prawns. I let the stove die out around noon and the heat pump is running the house tonight.

I don't believe you guys. You are making it up. The whole world is cold and white and frozen and the sun only does chin-ups on the horizon (it chins, it does not shine) everywhere and always amen. To say otherwise is mean and cruel and you are mocking me MOCKING ME! There is no such thing as green. la-la-la-la . . . . You are also cold, and are simply waiting for me to fall asleep to sneak up here and tiptoe off with all of my firewood. I SHALL NOT SLEEP!

Snow, go the hell to sleep. I ain't stealing yer fire wood !!

Oh, Merry Christmas, BTW :)

15F when I woke up (at 5:40am... thanks babies :) ). I had stuffed the stove full and left it running a little open from low all night, however the house still cooled off enough for the boiler to kick in briefly.

Its cranking away now, living room a comfy 73.

I spent all day yesterday cooking lasagna bolognese, and today we have a 7lb prime rib that has been aging in the fridge all week. yum.

Merry Christmas morning y'all. I envy those of you whose kids are grown and get to sleep past 6!!!!

jharkin said:
I spent all day yesterday cooking lasagna bolognese, and today we have a 7lb prime rib that has been aging in the fridge all week. yum.

Merry Christmas morning y'all. I envy those of you whose kids are grown and get to sleep past 6!!!!

I don't have kids and I can't sleep past 6 if I tried! Damn internal alarm clock from work.... >:-(

Lasagna bolognese...nice! I made my sauce yesterday and I am making 2 pans of 5 cheese lasagna....can't go wrong with lasagna for xmas dinner...

Enjoy!

Above freezing this morning and a cold hearth. It was just too mild to keep a fire going overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to get even warmer.

jharkin said:

It seems so unfair to disillusion you.

My DS awakened me at 4:45 a.m. in the morning today to suggest that since Walmart opened at 5 a.m. (really??really?! It's Christmas, people!), he could make a run in and try to pick up a few more presents for his sister. He is 17. Almost old enough to vote, join the army, get married, sign a legal contract.

This was convenient, because it gave me the luxury (after I told him to go back to bed) of laying in bed thinking about all the things he had done recently that annoyed me so that I could later contextual that request within an itemized list. I think I'd take a diaper and burping call (even a double one) over this any day of the week, esp Christmas morning.

That's why I'm on here now, contextualizing my annoyance with him within the human community, and getting some of that Christmas spirit back. Nice thing about having kids and pets--sometimes you get to do Christmas morning twice.

ETA: See? I told you I wasn't going to sleep . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.