Two days to Christmas.... Fifty Two degrees outside!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GAMMA RAY said:
Lasagna bolognese...nice! I made my sauce yesterday and I am making 2 pans of 5 cheese lasagna....can't go wrong with lasagna for xmas dinner...

Enjoy!

We are thanks :) Italian family... Supposed to do the old feast of seven fishes I guess but us kids never liked fish so instead my mom would make lasagna. I got the recipe... the lasagna bolognese is actually a no mozzarella recipe but Oooooooooh so good. Its layers of noodles, bolognese , bechamel cream sauce and parm instead. Its disgustingly rich.

And today we have a big ole rib roast and Yorkshire pudding. mmmmmm.. I think i gained 5 lb just thinking about it.

50F last night and 50F right now. No fire going today unless the power goes out, which it might. We're getting 30+mph gusts and a pretty steady 20+mph wind. The UPS kicked in for a couple seconds, just a little while ago. But I hope the power stays on. I'd like the power crews to be able to stay at home with their families today.

27F last night so I kept the stove going denying reality saying screw you weather scrooge it will SNOW on Christmas. Nope weather scrooge made it 52F today and I refused to shut down the stove so I used it to keep food warm. The house was 80F the first winter with the new stove and its only dusted GRRRRRRRRR !! I WANT SNOW ( I am stoping my feet ) At least we all gorged on food today and tore up a lot of wrapping paper.

Pete

Around 1pm, the barometer suddenly reversed, temp dropped 5 degrees in about 15 minutes.

We've got a nice low, Christmas fire burning now.

Our predicted low temps were delayed on the way, and we never saw colder than zero, but got another inch or two of fresh powder on Christmas day. Bought the kids a pair of high tech sleds for Christmas, and put them out on my deck. Told both of the kids that we needed more wood hauled in and the decks swept off. They still haven't done those chores, which means that they still haven't found the sleds. I have no plans to nag. :coolsmile:

snowleopard said:
Bought the kids a pair of high tech sleds for Christmas, and put them out on my deck. Told both of the kids that we needed more wood hauled in and the decks swept off. They still haven't done those chores, which means that they still haven't found the sleds. I have no plans to nag. :coolsmile:

Oh Snow....you clever clever gal... ;-)

It was 56f outside at midday, and is now 52f outside at 8-55pm!!!!

Forecast for whole month ahead is for mild wet weather and no frosts here!

I'm glad I have plenty of shoulder season wood, we have already let the stove out tonight.

Might sweep the chimney tomorrow just to see how it's going, we have not had many really long hot fires for a while ;-)

I don't know about clever, Gamma, maybe just have a little warped sense of humor. :)

I was thinking of you all this afternoon and evening as I hauled in the week's supply of firewood and swept and shoveled the decks. It took me about an hour to do the latter, and I've still got half of the upper deck left to clear. Tucked the sleds away behind the deck chair that lives out there. Too bad, kiddos, it would have been a great day for sledding. They may not find them until next spring. Can't wait to see their little faces . . .

It's zero out, which feels cold to me when I head out the door, but actually pretty comfortable after I've been moving around for awhile. Dark out, and the spruce tree above the deck was covered with snow so I had to knock that off, too. Not bad exercise for those of us with desk jobs. I had to admit, though, I was smiling at the thought of you who were wishing for a white Christmas and missing the snow. You do remember the shoveling part, right?

snowleopard said:
You do remember the shoveling part, right?

vaguely....Mr Gamma said when we got married, "You do the inside work and I'll do the outside work".....I thought, ok I have seen the apartment he lived in prior...it could have been on a "Hoarder" episode so I agreed.
We don't have really a lot to shovel. He has a huge plow on the truck so the driveway is done in no time at all. The sidewalk to the front door is small as well as the back walk to the garage.....he shovels such a small area on the sidewalks so you have to walk one foot in front of the other.... :lol: Maybe Mr Gamma is the smart one now come to think of it... :mad:

Shoveling does suck... :shut:

This weather is all over the map.. I complained about mild then the next 4 days or so it was in the 30 with nights in the teens.

Then we had a break and it was back up into the 50s. Last night the temps kept CLIMBING all night and I htink it hit something like 58! at 3 in the morning. Wind was howling too - we had gusts almost as high as Irene.

18 hours later its down in the 20s again heading to an overnight low of 18. Tomorrow its supposed to be even colder topping out around 30 and then going to 16 at night.

Just make up your mind mother nature!

Status
Not open for further replies.