Two Dead Saws in One Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
Bought a new Dolmar 420 on 11-23-10. Mixed one gallon of fuel the next day with the Dolmar oil. I have since acquired a Stihl 025 also. Got both saws out and topped off the tanks with the fuel mentioned above (same fuel that was already in them) today to cut down a tree and buck it. I was switching back and forth to use both saws.

A little more than half way the Doly was taking about three pulls to start rather than its usual half pull. It would then sound like it was starving for fuel when first started. Kept going, then the 025 got hard to start. Then the only way either one would start was to choke it. Then neither one would run. They were both acting the same way so I figured the only thing in common was the tree and the fuel which was near the end of the can. Went and got fresh fuel and the both run perfect again.

Only thing I can figure is either the fuel went bad in less then three months or the oil settled to the bottom of the can which is kinda unsettling in itself. Pardon the pun.

What do you think?

BTW the gas can and filters are nice and clean.

CSAW said:
Bought a new Dolmar 420 on 11-23-10. Mixed one gallon of fuel the next day with the Dolmar oil. I have since acquired a Stihl 025 also. Got both saws out and topped off the tanks with the fuel mentioned above (same fuel that was already in them) today to cut down a tree and buck it. I was switching back and forth to use both saws.

A little more than half way the Doly was taking about three pulls to start rather than its usual half pull. It would then sound like it was starving for fuel when first started. Kept going, then the 025 got hard to start. Then the only way either one would start was to choke it. Then neither one would run. They were both acting the same way so I figured the only thing in common was the tree and the fuel which was near the end of the can. Went and got fresh fuel and the both run perfect again.

Only thing I can figure is either the fuel went bad in less then three months or the oil settled to the bottom of the can which is kinda unsettling in itself. Pardon the pun.

What do you think?

BTW the gas can and filters are nice and clean.

Always shake your gas can to stir the oil up. Dont sure thats it but seems to be the only thing it could be?

I know its expensive but what about the pre-mixed fuel I would think there wouldnt be any mix issues. Just a thought

You might want to remove the muffler and see what the piston and cylinder look like hope it didnt score them if they are thats bad

estang said:
I know its expensive but what about the pre-mixed fuel I would think there wouldnt be any mix issues. Just a thought

Gas and oil will sperate over time even if its premix. Always shake my gas before I put a drop in my saw's. Even if I just filled it 10 mins. before its a habit.

Thanks for the replies.

I do shake the can a little before fueling, guess I need to get violent with it.

As far as premix, I think I will try the violent shaking mentioned above first. Used different fuel and oil this time too.

I don't think the pistons should be scored as I think it was probably an overdose of oil not lack of it. No smoking though. There weren't many cuts between the onset of problems and the end.

Both saws are fine with the new fuel. Back to normal.

smokinjay said:
estang said:

Gas and oil will sperate over time even if its premix. Always shake my gas before I put a drop in my saw's. Even if I just filled it 10 mins. before its a habit.

+1 same here.

I think gas is not what it use to be, I think they water the stuff down, you can store a can of fuel for the winter and if don't put sea foam, stabil. in it, it will collect moisture. I try now to just buy enough to cut for one day or enough to do the job and not store fuel for long periods of time. because it can cost you alot in repairs if you don't.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I think gas is not what it use to be, I think they water the stuff down, you can store a can of fuel for the winter and if don't put sea foam, stabil. in it, it will collect moisture. I try now to just buy enough to cut for one day or enough to do the job and not store fuel for long periods of time. because it can cost you alot in repairs if you don't.

Thats more than possible just moisture....Can of gas around here is hard to find. lol

If there is any of that fuel left, dump it in an old Jar and let it sit for several hours.
Odds are it will stratify.

Despite what many claim, Gas is not Gas anymore, and adding some sort of goop to it will not stop the ethanol content from sucking it's volume in water out of the atmosphere and into the mix.
Saw carbs meter by volume. Get the water content too high and suspended in the mix, and the crap wont burn for diddly or lube bearings adequately.
The various additives do NOT remove water, they suspend it.

Start with Gas from a station that has water in thier tanks and has added suspension additives, then add more Ethanol to draw more water with each fill of the tank, and sooner or later it's gonna be lousy fuel before ya even mix the stuff and let it sit in the barn drawing water.

Best thing a guy can do is get one of the little ethanol testers or set up one themselves, and never run any pump fuel that is more than a month old in thier 2-cycles.
The 4 strokes can take it fine, but more and more 2-cycles are getting fried by bad fuel mix from stations.

Ethanol Needs to go!!!

glad somebody else feels the way i do. This water down gas , ethanol blend junk will destory your 2-cycle engines, I would like to buy me a tester and find out just how much water I'am buying, there is a gas station across the state line that sells no ethanol gas thinking about buying a gallon or two and see if the stuff is for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.