Two down two to go!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur cutter

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
West Michigan
Hit a nice CL score today, large sugar maple taken down by a tree service. The homeowner didn't want to pay to have it hauled off, so I responded to the ad, & went over. With CL I'm always skeptical, but wonder of wonders, the lady was a very nice & reasonable person, & it really was a sugar maple about 3' at the trunk, no brush & mostly bucked up! Two full loads, & two cords later I had all but a few large pieces gone. 88* degrees, but working in the shade it wasn't so bad, then she mentioned the large pieces in the neighbor's yard directly behind her. Yes I had already eyeballed them, talked to the lady, & she had given the wood away, but the previous guy had not come back for the big stuff. 44" to 48" rounds cut to 14 16" lengths. She wanted them gone ASAP, I told her it would be midweek before I could return. I told her to let the other guy have if he came back, She said no way it's your's for taking the time to come to the door, explain what you're going to do, just please take it all. I told her no problem. Bottom line is about 4 cord of nice hard maple, no brush, & a nice shady bug free area to work in. I had a real nice day! A C

AC that will make some awesome firewood in a year, in our coldest months the sugar maple and beech are the go to wood.

Nice Job
Zap

It might be a good idea to leave your name and number with both parties. If you are a person who can reliably make wood disappear, they will tell their friends.

lukem said:
It might be a good idea to leave your name and number with both parties. If you are a person who can reliably make wood disappear, they will tell their friends.

Yea good call luke, I gave each of them full contact info, & told them if any plans changed on my end I would let them know. In my mind communicating & being up front with folks goes a long way. I know I sure appreciate it. A C

lukem said:

Nie Score. I agree with lukem. Put your name out there. Even if you must take all the crotches and occasional "brush" pile.

I have many places to go and fell trees. But it is MUCH easier when I can just go load it on a trailer. Get at least 1 call a week and I have only been putting my name out there for 3 months. 2 of the people own tree services. Show up and take it all. I throw a lot on my burn pile in the back. But I keep getting return calls.

Good for you amateur!

However, it does make one wonder about you pleasing two ladies in one day...

Yea Dennis, if only I was really that much of a man eh. Oh well, appreciate the ego boost. LOL

How did you get those big rounds moved? Did you cut them there or roll em?
Wheres the pics? I believe you but some of these guys on the forum insist on seeing pics.

Yea sorry bout that, I forgot the camera, & I'm really bad about not takin & posting pics. As far as taking them apart, I will not roll anything that size anywhere, or at least up a ramp or incline. I'm fairly strong & have a good back thankfully & am trying to keep it that way. In this case they're all bucked up, so I just noodle them into 1/4's or 1/6's with the 064 & load em that way. Years ago I made a Pacific NW cover for that saw for better clearance for the noodles. 8 pin drive rim, an old chain with short cutters for chip clearance, & I can noodle the rounds in under 2 min each for 1/4's. Just cut it 4/5 thru, & 1 hit with the maul & I've got pieces that I can handle & stack tightly in the trailer. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.