Two Loads of Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I worked two different areas getting the two loads,I concentrated on the ironwood that was rotting from the top down.

By next weekend I should have an area for stacking this ironwood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6237.JPG
    100_6237.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_6238.JPG
    100_6238.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_6242.JPG
    100_6242.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_6243.JPG
    100_6243.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_6244.JPG
    100_6244.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_6245.JPG
    100_6245.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_6246.JPG
    100_6246.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_6247.JPG
    100_6247.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 200
Boy zap, I wish we had more ironwood. I cut a grand total of one tree on our place. That one had fell and I had forgotten it for a couple years. Still good and hard when I did cut it. Burns really great too but it, like others in the area, was really small.

Reactions: Thistle and zap
Boy zap, I wish we had more ironwood. I cut a grand total of one tree on our place. That one had fell and I had forgotten it for a couple years. Still good and hard when I did cut it. Burns really great too but it, like others in the area, was really small.
It seems up top has a lot of Ironwood, down bottom it's spread out more. I still have two on the lower part that I want, next weekend it's back up top for a nice size Cherry that's leaning real good, once I get the Cherry and the Maple splits down it's off for more Cherry on the lower part.

This is the Cherry up top that I'll be working on next weekend.
zap

Attachments

• 100_4823-001.JPG
    100_4823-001.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 155
Not sure of exact total amount even with most of it growing in pure stands on 2 steep hillsides across the creek from SE corner to north hillside next to gravel driveway of parents acreage.Its rare there isnt 1 spot over the 10 acres that I wont find one within 100 ft any direction I stand.Still has to be close to 1 acre's worth if it was all condensed in 1 spot.

If the land was much flatter it would be easier to estimate the volume.I walk through the woods 2-3 times monthly even when not cutting anything,only look for ones that died recently or had broken tops from storms.Manage to get 1 or 2 yearly.

Glad I dont rely on that alone for my heat source.....That stuff is great,but it sure wouldnt be enough by itself. ;)

They seem to prefer upland locations,a few that were in low wetter area or next to creek bank died much quicker.Shallow root systems that wont tolerate much standing water.

Nice work. Your woods looks so good cleaned up. looks like next week the weather will hold pretty nice and steady.

Nice work. Your woods looks so good cleaned up. looks like next week the weather will hold pretty nice and steady.
Actually up top is a wreck, I'll have a area next year for a wood dump. From talking with the previous owner I'm the first to cut up top since his father. (That was about 30 years ago.)

Nice work zap i have never burn any of that or processed any.

Not sure of exact total amount even with most of it growing in pure stands on 2 steep hillsides across the creek from SE corner to north hillside next to gravel driveway of parents acreage.Its rare there isnt 1 spot over the 10 acres that I wont find one within 100 ft any direction I stand.Still has to be close to 1 acre's worth if it was all condensed in 1 spot.

If the land was much flatter it would be easier to estimate the volume.I walk through the woods 2-3 times monthly even when not cutting anything,only look for ones that died recently or had broken tops from storms.Manage to get 1 or 2 yearly.

Glad I dont rely on that alone for my heat source.....That stuff is great,but it sure wouldnt be enough by itself. ;)

They seem to prefer upland locations,a few that were in low wetter area or next to creek bank died much quicker.Shallow root systems that wont tolerate much standing water.
I'll second that, glad we have other wood to heat the house. I remember the first Ironwood I cut, it created sparks but none of these did, maybe I'm getting better at sharpening (filing) the chain. >>

I worked two different areas getting the two loads,I concentrated on the ironwood that was rotting from the top down.

By next weekend I should have an area for stacking this ironwood.

zap
Nice score Zap!

Ray

Woods are looking great this time of the year ;)
Good pictures.

Reactions: raybonz
You're gonna love burnin that stuff. I own some bottomland acreage thats loaded with that and bluebeech. Take a couple loads off every year.
Seasons quite well even in 5" rounds and burns like coal.

That stuff must be kinda of hedge, if it burns like coal. Does it throw out the sparks in the fireplace like hedge? Never heard or even seen that stuff before. Sounds like some great stuff.

chvymn99, I'm not sure on how it sparks, we only burned a few rounds on the last load of the night.

Nice pics and good wood to boot zap. Go Tigers! :)

Nice wood, don't think I've ever fead the stove any of that, I don't think theres much of it around here, say it ranks with locust so you defiantly got some prize stuff there.

Zap, you must have plenty of live ironwood left on your place judging from the amount of dead you are getting
I hope so, it's hard to tell on the bottom part of our property (it's spread out more) up top it seems to be in about three locations.

zap

IGARB

Back in September I took a ride to look at some future btu's, the deer said no so the Beech still stands but this Ironwood I'll go back for.
zap

Attachments

• 100_6021.JPG
    100_6021.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_6022.JPG
    100_6022.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.