Two Moisture Meters, Different Readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I have a General Toolw MMD4E moisture meter from Lowes and I just received a DR Meter MD812 (which appears to be identical to the Dusiec MD812). Measurements of the same piece of wood can differ three or four points. Does anyone have experience with these meters and have an opinion on which one is more accurate?

Thanks very much.

I assume these are both very inexpensive meters. Trying to get an exact # from such an inexpensive meter is waste of time. Use them to compare the relative dryness of your wood. They all have at least a 5% +/- accuracy.
Measure your hand (should get a low 30#), measure a unpainted piece of trim in your house (should get <15%).

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A mini Ligno is a very good meter $100.00 new

I have been looking at buying a Mini Ligno for my wood shop for some time now ,I just haven't pulled the trigger yet

Status
Not open for further replies.