Two newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I've got a very small lot and am looking at storing wood in different places around the lot. I've got three different racks and am looking at building a couple of others out of treated 2x4's - nothing fancy just enough to hold about a rick. I was wondering if someone had 'plans'. I know, I know, I know - if I'm asking for a simple rack I shouldn't need plans, but I want to see who's got a better idea than I. You all are 'seasoned' wood burning veterans.

Also, some of this wood will be stacked relatively close to my walkout basement (cinderblock) and on asphalt or concrete. I would think these wood racks would attract mice and other small creatures to live in them; is that true? Do you generally see a rise in mice around the place when you have stacked wood? I plan on keeping the wood off the ground a couple of inches and also away from the walls about a foot - based on that, what have you seen?

Thanks all!

I wouldn't sink alot into it. I stack all my wood on free pallets.

Yes - mice will nest in the wood pile. So will snakes and ground hogs, skunks, etc. You shouldn't have any infestations in your home as a result. Just make sure they have no way in.

brianbeech said:
Also, some of this wood will be stacked relatively close to my walkout basement (cinderblock) and on asphalt or concrete. I would think these wood racks would attract mice and other small creatures to live in them; is that true? Do you generally see a rise in mice around the place when you have stacked wood? I plan on keeping the wood off the ground a couple of inches and also away from the walls about a foot - based on that, what have you seen?

Thanks all!

Woodpiles (at least mine) most definitely are great shelter for little critters like mice. It is just one of those things I live with. I keep the stacks far enough away from the house that they will have to cross a large open area to get to the house. They generally do not like to do that. This summer I'll get a few barn cats to have around.

I just stack mine on bricks. I do get mice. Is the purpose of the rack to be able to stack taller?

If I was going to build a rack, I'd make it from pressure treated 2x4s, screwed together at the corners. I'd give it 4 sides for structure, like a picture frame. I'd use more frames for bigger racks, or fewer for smaller. So like a 24" wide rack would only need 2 frames, but an 8' wide frame might need 4. I'd set the racks on bricks because termites will eat PT 2x4s. I'd also screw some spacers at various locations.

I never see mice in the stacks outside or in my woodshed . . . but I know they're there based on the mouse nests I uncover while restacking the wood in the woodshed or when I bring it inside . . . well that and the intent look my cats get when they go out and meander around the woodshed.

firefighterjake said:
I never see mice in the stacks outside or in my woodshed . . . but I know they're there based on the mouse nests I uncover while restacking the wood in the woodshed or when I bring it inside . . . well that and the intent look my cats get when they go out and meander around the woodshed.

I guess a little properly placed (where only a mouse could get to it) poison could take care of the problem.

brianbeech said:
firefighterjake said:

I guess a little properly placed (where only a mouse could get to it) poison could take care of the problem.

Except that I would worry that the dying mouse would manage to crawl out to a point where my cats would find it easy pickings . . . and then I would have a sick cat on my hands . . . or worse. I can live with the cats doing the population control . . . and dealing with the mouse nests.

Don't have any blueprints, but I made a 2X4 rack with a little roof last spring like this:
I used chunks of a concrete slab sunk flush to the ground as footers. Using bricks or conc blocks lets you elevate the stack without making legs.
2* 12' 2X4's on EDGE on the bottom spaced a few inches less than your splits (say 14" apart)
4* 8' 2X4's vertical for the ends. Cut the posts for the 'Back' of the stack taller than the 'front' so the roof slopes to the front and cut them on an angle to match the roof slope. 6" difference makes about 20deg or 12" for 40deg roof.
4* 2X4 blocks screwed to the bottom of the vertical 2X4's to raise the bottom 2X4's off the ground several inchs & support them. Made 1 "leg" on each bottom 2X4 in the middle of the stack the same way, to prevent sagging.
1 or 2* lengths of small dimension lumber (say 1X2, 1x3) cut in short lengths & nailed at equal heights (maybe 12" apart) on the outside of the vertical 2X4's (like a ladder) to keep the vertical post straight & just looks nice.
2* 12' 2X2 or 2X3's across the top. I used L brackets for stability. You could cut-up some plywood scraps to make brackets or use scrap lumber to make a little cross brace instead.
Make stringers a couple feet apart between the 2 top pieces out of some 1x3 or something cut to the width of your roofing.
I used a 26"X12' piece the corrugated plastic roofing 'cause that's the look I wanted, but at $20 it cost more than all the other materials together. Screw roofing to the stringers.
It looks nice if I do say so myself.

Between our rabbits and their associated feed and hay, the gardens and the compost piles, I really don't think the wood piles contribute much to the mouse issue.

They do however, add greatly to my enjoyment when my lovely wife is grabbing a round for the splitter and I hear that special scream reserved for a found snake who was innocently sunning itself.

There are two types of mice. The House Mouse is the mouse that will live inside the house. It has a hairless tail and the species originated from europe. House Mice may also live outdoors in a convenient wood pile, but usually stick more or less close to a house. The other group of 'mice' includes Deer Mice, White-footed Mice, plus the 'field mice' - I think people call any small wild rodent a 'field mouse' although a lot of them are voles. Anyhow, the second type of mouse is very prone to living in wood piles at my place, but really isn't inclined to live in your house. They might nest under a porch or maybe in a shed, but they aren't the mice that are usually found in houses (Of course somebody is going to post about how Deer Mice are living in their linen closet - I am sure that somewhere a house is hosting Deer Mice, but that isn't usually the case and I wouldn't worry about it) So, my answer is yes, mice will live in wood piles but I don't think that is a big concern. If you have indoor mice they might get into the wood pile, but the wood pile didn't create the problem. If you have outdoor mice they might get into the wood pile, but they were there already and won't want to go into the house. In my piles I don't often see a mouse, but I do see their nests. mine are out in a field that probably has four or five types of 'field mice' so i don't know exactly what species is living in the piles. I do know that House Mice live in the house, but that is a different story.

My Holz Hauzen has become a squirrel motel. I have been watching the little devils crawl into gaps and come out at other points. I think there is some kind of squirrel party going on in there (sounds like a kids book).... I better not find any empty beer cans or there will be hell to pay - they can eat my acorns but stay away from the beers!

Got Wood said:
My Holz Hauzen has become a squirrel motel. I have been watching the little devils crawl into gaps and come out at other points. I think there is some kind of squirrel party going on in there (sounds like a kids book).... I better not find any empty beer cans or there will be hell to pay - they can eat my acorns but stay away from the beers!

Hmmm... maybe they have a whole club built up inside your woodpile! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.