Two Old Poulan Saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmattingly

Jun 17, 2009
Southern,NH
My parents visited this past weekend. It has reach the point that whenever they stop by, my Dad brings me something from his garage or shop. He is getting older, they are downsizing and I guess he would rather see his stuff being used rather than gathering dust. This time he brought me two old Poulan saws. One I remember him using 30 years ago when we were cutting firewood in the woods of Connecticut. He told me that the one on the right will only pull without the spark plug. The other ran fine when he used it two years ago. Can anyone pass along information about these saws. I look forward to tinkering around and using them soon. The certainly seem a like a far cry from the "Wild Thing" Poulans you see at the Home Depot!
027.JPG028.JPG

That era of pull-ons was a world apart from the stuff in the stores today. Tough, reliable, respected in the day. Everything todays pull-ons ain't.;lol

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
I cut a lot of wood with an XXV years ago. I have cut a lot of wood with the little Poulan I bought at Walmart a few years ago. Not much difference except for looks. Vibrate your teeth out but cut just fine.

Use those for limbing saws.

Yeah. I used the lil sucker down in Texas. When we moved into five acres of oak and beech here it wasn't long before the new Pro Mac 610 was procured.

Nice old school trim saws with plenty of power. My complaint is the length of the fuel line (runs the length of the saw almost)........makes cold starting a PITA. I saved one from a barn a few years ago and a buddy uses it as his lawn/camp firewood saw.

BTW, those are in nice looking shape ;ex

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
Great power to weight ratio.
Strong running saws.
Some people will want them if you don't.
Thomas

+1 condition - those were barely used - won't get much if you sell 'em so they'd be kept dry and on a shelf to see and think of Dad. Cheers!

Thanks for the specs. I'll get a spark plug in the non-running saw to try and figure out what the issue is. Dad said he couldn't pull the cord with the spark plug in. I ran the other saw this weekend. Chain flew off on the first log I touched. Scared the hell out of me. I let it cool, put the chain back on. (tighter this time) and cut up a bunch of camp wood I have meaning to cut up. Saw had plenty of pep. I think you are right. It will make a good saw for liming. I look forward to using it again. I thanked Dad for it again yesterday when I we chatted on skype.

I gave my big saw to my son, then got one of those small Poulan's. Works fine for cutting up limbs etc for the fire pot. I don't cut much of anything larger than my leg. I don't move so fast anymore so getting rid of the big saw was best for me. My son has had the saw for 7 years now, and he keeps it in good condition. He has helped me out many times taking down trees too big or near my house.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.