Two options on exterior chimney pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
I will be running an exterior chimney pipe about 21 feet after coming through the wall The inside pipe will be 4 foot double wall out the top of stove so my total pipe length is 25 feet. I have a small suffet on my roof about 6" to 8" (hard to tell from the ground) I can offset the pipe at least 8 " off the side of house and go straight up or use two 45 degree bends and go 2' off the house and around the suffet. This would add about $400 to the cost. Which is the better option? thanks

The best option is to go up inside the house. :cool: In lieu of that measure the offset for the soffit + 2" (clearance) to determine the exact amount needed. Offset elbows are 30 degree and only certain companies allow them to be used on an exterior chimney. Selkirk does not.

is it better to use elbows or just go straight up but be about 8 to 10 inches off the wall. Interior is not an option unfortunatley

Straight up if the pipe is well supported and properly braced.

straight will be better and should be considerably cheaper as well

I ran my exterior chimney up 22 feet and 16 inches away from the house. (14 inch eave) with one 90 at the bottom before traveling through the thimble into my rear exit stove. Doesn't look fabulous but no exterior metal chimney does IMO. The beauty of the thing is that I can run a brush up through the clean out on the 90 the whole way to the cap FROM THE GROUND, then look the whole way up that sucker to make sure it's clean. Can't do that with elbows.

Reactions: Bruce P
The beauty of the thing is that I can run a brush up through the clean out on the 90 the whole way to the cap FROM THE GROUND, then look the whole way up that sucker to make sure it's clean. Can't do that with elbows.
you can still clean from the bottom with the elbows but you are right you cant look up the whole way. We only use elbows if it is a very deep soffit and the homeowners wont let us cut through it.

Thanks mine will be about 8" off the wall. I am only 100 feet above Sea level Will 4 foot interior and 21 foot exterior give me a good draw ? Code here is 2' above roof line. Is that enough ?

Thanks mine will be about 8" off the wall. I am only 100 feet above Sea level Will 4 foot interior and 21 foot exterior give me a good draw ? Code here is 2' above roof line. Is that enough ?
Well what stove is it? It should be enough to over come the 2 90s you will have and it is 3' above the roof where it passes the roof or 2' above anything with in 10' which ever is higher

so it needs to be 3' above the roof peak ? Havent decided on stove yet

3' above the roof where the chimney passes the roof. If it passes the roof at the peak then yes it would be 3' above the peak. You really should pick a stove before worrying much more about the chimney.

Ok I just measured downstairs room where Stove will be located is 9' ,second floor is 8' ,attic to peak is 12' so a total of 29' plus 3' above peak equals 32 ' minus 2.5 to top of stove equals 29.5 ' of pipe with two 90 degree bends At 100' above sea level should I have a good draw even though pipe is external ?

Last edited:
ok got you would not pass at the peak so 2' above peak equals 28.5' of chimney. Lokoing at Quadra fire explorer 3 most likely Or Jutol f 50 TL VC Encore

At 100' above sea level should I have a good draw even though pipe is external ?
Yes the quad or jotul are good stoves i personally would avoid the vc

Jotul,how does your chimney draw ? Mine will be similar just a bit longer
You are way over the min height for any of those stoves it will draw very well. Possibly to well you may end up having to put in a stack damper

That should draft ok. We have 20' straight up (except for an small offset at the stove) in the interior and it drafts just about perfectly.

I also have good draft all the time. I have a Jotul F600. Even if it's only 45 degrees or so outside the draft will extinguish a match. Except for when it's raining and 45 or so. Then I'll sometimes feel air falling down the chimney and I run a plumbers propane torch in there for a few minutes to reverse the flow. Anyone have a solution for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.