two pickup loads in the rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
My dad and I got permission to cut on some property that belongs to a friend of my mom and dad's neighbor. The guy had a strip of timber logged a year and a half ago and he wants the remaining wood gone. We got the easy stuff today. The rest will be more work and might depend on conditions of the skid road.
My dad tackled an old growth fir log that may be more trouble than it's worth. It required a lot of noodling and it's the hardest splitting wood I've ever encountered. Some other people have been on the property to cut but didn't take much. They'd worked on the big fir too and didn't get a whole lot off it. Most of the marks on that log are from the previous people. I was happy to get an easy truck load of alder and birch. We started at 10am and were all loaded up by 12:30.
We'll be back at it again. There's a mix of alder, fir, and birch up the hill if we can get to it.
3.3.14b.JPG 3.3.14d.JPG 3.3.14f.JPG 3.3.14i.JPG

That is one big tree!
yea, i would not rest until I had that one. It would bother me till I whupped it. There is a lot of wood there.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Thats a big chunk of wood!

Nice score, looks like lots of good firewood

LOL,,are you gonna split that big piece of bark?

Two more loads today. I got into a pretty decent old fir, which ended up being most of my load. The rest was mostly pecker pole fir. Wasn't too bad getting it to the truck. I just gave the rounds a shove and they rolled to the skid trail on their own, then it was a gentle grade down to the truck so I could roll them at an easy pace.
3.4.14c.JPG
3.4.14e.JPG
Four wheel drive was required.
3.4.14a.jpg
3.4.14b.jpg
I sharpened my chain last night and then forgot to put the file back in my kit. My chain definitely could have used a touch-up by the end of the day. If I was going to cut more today I would have swapped the chain out for my spare.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice job so far. You have some good firewood there. Not too far off the road either.

Rain! what the hell is that? Also what is that brown stuff? I like the big log, not worth the effort but worth the challenge.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
How'd you get that big one on the truck? It looks like it weighs as much as me! I know leverage helps, but I don't see anything except lifting there. I am amazed at the size of it and then the first pic one looks hollow in the middle, but it is astounding how big it is. Great haul. Congratulations. You'll be toasty with that!

The big round in the truck is cedar that I took for kindling. It's pretty light stuff. The big fir rounds were punky in the middle but still very heavy. When I rolled them down the hill most of the punk fell out of the middle, then I split them into halves or thirds to load them. Between the punky stuff and the solid wood there was a thick layer of pitch that mostly busted off when I was splitting them at home. I now have a box full of pitch chunks to use as fire starters/pyro fun when I'm burning brush this spring. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.