1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Two Questions

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by yooperdave, Mar 18, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    1. Does anyone remember the name of the ace hardware in colorado (somewhere) that has a website and you can order stuff like wood splitters from them??

2. more importantly, I am playing with the idea of buying a wood lathe. Currently considering two models fome norther to.
    shop fox model W1758 for about $840
    jet model JWL 1442 VSK for about $1500

It would be used for bowl making (turning) primary and maybe table legs, tool handles, etc. secondary.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Some years back, my wife gave me a JWL-1236 for Christmas. It's a perfectly fine home/craftsman machine for less than $1000.00. Rick
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Thanks BB . I don't need a splitter as the North Star is doing fine, I just thought I would check out the ace hardware site in case they had wood lathes.
    Rick, The JWL-1236 looks nice. Have you turned any bowls?
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    No, I have not, I've only done straight spindle stuff. Bowls maybe one day. This lathe power head, of course, will pivot for face/bowl turning, and it comes with the basic tool rest configuration to facilitate that. I really wanted to get into turning some bowls but life intervened. Have fun! Rick
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    With my wood working skills anything I put on a lathe would end up like any other wood I try to work with. Kindling. ;em
    wingsfan likes this.