Two rooms done (or nearly so) Before and After pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
Since we bought the Cottage, we've been working on it. EVERY room needed something, some more than others (some of you might recall the epic rebuild of the living room involving tearing out the entire floor including the joists). Well, we've finally pulled enough wire and spend enough time to call two rooms just about done. The dining room is DONE except we need to decide what to do with some old trim that was stained so it is darker than the new trim (well, and maybe eventually replace the vent free with a Thelin Parlour). The kitchen is almost done, some minor trim is still needed up under the cabinets, we need to restain around the light fixture over the sink and maybe put in some under cabinet lights. Both rooms will need the part of the window frames between the storms and inside windows scraped and repainted also, and maybe some new glazing, but that will probably be a springtime project.

Here is the Before, dining room (the floor you see is NOT wood, it is faux peel and stick that comes in "planks"-however, instead of staggering the joints to look "real" they laid them end to end so there were lines every three feet. Under that was faux brick linoleum):

aa27.JPG

And the After, dining room (new wiring, floors were stripped of "wood" and "brick" then hand planed to remove the nasty adhesive since steam, heat and other methods failed then coated with linseed oil, beadboard and trim installed, new paint). You can see the trim around the windows will probably need to be taken off and sanded down to match-it has paint on it from the PO's anyway. They were opposed to levels, squares and apparently, masking off surfaces not meant to be painted.

aa28.JPG

The Kitchen, before (same floor as dining room although you can't see it). Notice the tiles popping off the backsplash where the window leaked (fixed by me scraping, filling caulking and repainting outside this past spring). Also, the "decorative green tiles" are just white tiles with stickers on them.

aa12.JPG

The Kitchen, after. New wiring, fixtures, stove (1950's Floyd Wells Bengal), Fridge (1950's Norge Customatic), floors stripped, repaired below fridge (section about 2'x3' was rotted out from an old leaky fridge eyers ago) and coated in linseed, new backsplash, covered section behond fridge that was randomly left white drywall (with equally random hole in it):

aa11.JPG

Currently working on the hall, bathroom and bedroom as well as some details in the living room. I'll post those as we get them finished so there's a before and after :)

There are more pics including "during" ones on my blog for those interested in the "mess", lol.

Thats got a couple tons of charm. I like it alot.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice job utilizing the tight spaces. Lots of character in those cabinet doors, it all looks great EC. Very inviting.

Thanks everyone!

We'd be putting in a DV Parlour rather than another wood stove. We use the VF as a backup to the Lopi, which is techincally WAY too much stove for the Cottage-I don't think we could run two wood stoves in there at once!

The Thelin Parlour DV:

parlour_gas.png

I think I'd like the gray or black rather than the fancier colors...

Reactions: smokinj
Nice work eclecticcottage. I like it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.