Q&A two sided fireplace from one sided?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi I own a home which the fireplace(woodburning)faces the Living room. Behind the fireplace, is our den. When we make a fire and go into the den, we look at a brick wall. It kills us because if we were able to break thru the brick wall we would see the fire from the reverse side, thus having a two sided fireplace. Can we do it? One of our neighbors did it (same house) and said it works trouble free. We did have some professionals in to discuss same one told us no problem, and the likelihood that it would be ok is 80%. If not we could change the damper, and or put an exhaust fan in. (if necessary). One person told us we would create a problem.

Answer:

My thoughts are pretty much the same, except I give it only a 50/50 chance of working without a chimney fan. The damper area and damper should definitely be replaced. The flue is probably not large enough.

See the article on Fireplace Sizing at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

I personally would not do this myself...that's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.