Two switch light install single supply wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Putting in some lights in my shop. I want to be able to turn on half of the lights at a time instead of burning all of them if i just need to go in to grab something. So here it is. Do i need to split out of a junction box with the supply wire with two wires goin to each switch or tie all neutrals together and all grounds together and have main wire going to one of the switches then put a jumper to the switch beside it. Basicly two circuits from one. There will only be eight flouresant light so i know there wont be an overload of the 12/2 romex main circuit wire. Thanx for suggestions.

I'd bring the feed in & split it at a wire nut to feed each switch.
Come off of each switch with a black & ground to the lights & tie all the neutrals together in the box
I can see it in my head, I hope you can read my mind!

so nut two black wires to feed off of one then one to each switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.