Two tons of pellets for a Dayton Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Had a customer come to me and said he been cleaning out his garage. We got to talking and he was selling some items. I found out he had an older Dayton 3,000 watt gas powered generator with a 8 HP Briggs motor and electric start. I ended up trading him 2 tons for the generator. I think I did good. It fires right up and runs a large air compressor with no problem. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• SANY0379.JPG
    SANY0379.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 332
  • SANY0381.JPG
    SANY0381.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 314
Hard to say if you got a good deal or not. Two tons of pellets for me would have been over $500, but you probably have pellets at a lower cost.

Does it have an hour meter, so you know how much usage it has?

I have been eyeing up a Champion 3500w generator for $349.00 brand new.

codebum said:
Hard to say if you got a good deal or not. Two tons of pellets for me would have been over $500, but you probably have pellets at a lower cost.

Does it have an hour meter, so you know how much usage it has?

I have been eyeing up a Champion 3500w generator for $349.00 brand new.

I have a newer diesel generator for the house but this is going to fit into the burn trailer. No idea on hours but it runs great. Yes I pay less than $500 for two tons. I have gone through a few "newer" lawnmowers in the past few years. All the new Briggs motors seem to be made with soft metal and the cylinder wear fast and the carbs are junk.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Had a customer come to me and said he been cleaning out his garage. We got to talking and he was selling some items. I found out he had an older Dayton 3,000 watt gas powered generator with a 8 HP Briggs motor and electric start. I ended up trading him 2 tons for the generator. I think I did good. It fires right up and runs a large air compressor with no problem. Here are some pics.

That looks similar to the freebie generator I picked up from my boss. He bought a new house and the previous owners left it in the shed. He couldn't get it started so I took it off his hands. I cleaned the carb and gas tank, and it runs great. I think mine is 4500 Watts, but looks identical to yours.

kinsman stoves said:
I have a newer diesel generator for the house but this is going to fit into the burn trailer. No idea on hours but it runs great. Yes I pay less than $500 for two tons. I have gone through a few "newer" lawnmowers in the past few years. All the new Briggs motors seem to be made with soft metal and the cylinder wear fast and the carbs are junk.

Eric

Yeah, sometimes the old stuff is definately built stronger. Dayton is a good brand also.

Status
Not open for further replies.