Two year ash issue and getting ahead.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Been working the last couple years to get 3 years ahead, the promised land. Right now I am burning 2 year ash that was dried on pallets. I didn't leave a gap, it was stacked solid through on the pallets. Well some is fine (<20%) some is marginal (22-23%) and some a little is a bit higher (25%). I've got cherry and oak that's good and dry to mix it with the bad stuff so that's not the point.

I put up 4 cords or more of mainly red oak last November (2012) a good portion of which is stacked the same way. This is what I am hoping to burn in 2015. So if some of the ash didn't fully dry the way I had it stacked what chance do I have with oak even if it is left for 3 yr? I think I am going to have to re-stack at least 3 cords to give myself a chance (sigh).

I know what I need to do, just venting.

I put up >2 cords this November and stacked in single rows got another 1-1.5 cords yet to split. The promised land, some day gonna get there. Thanks for listening

Reactions: Soundchasm
You be doing it just fine.

Right now I am burning 2 year ash that was dried on pallets. I didn't leave a gap, it was stacked solid through on the pallets. Well some is fine (<20%) some is marginal (22-23%) and some a little is a bit higher (25%).
I thought Ash would season faster.....I'm shocked that after 2 years you have some that is still above 20%

Packed tight and without enough wind and sun the drying of any wood will slow to a snail's pace, even ash. I learned the hard way several years ago with some ash that was double stacked tight and did not get much air flow. The outer pieces were good but toss a middle piece on the fire and it sizzled and leaked juice like I was frying bacon!:eek:

If using standard sized pallets I'd keep it to 2 rows. The airflow between the stacks helps dry just as much as the air and sun on the outside

I started, last season, to cut my pallets in half since I only stack in single rows and pallets are getting harder to get for free around me. I guess everyone has their own quirks! The feed store I was getting most of my free pallets are now selling them back to pallet dealers, so is the farm co-op.

I started out stacking 3 rows deep on pallets - found out pretty quickly that not only did the middle row basically stop drying, the outer rows didn't dry all that fast.

Going with two rows deep and a space between seemed to do much better, but then if that middle space was only 16-20" I found a lot of 'mulch' gathered in there as well as snow in the winter.

Single rows are best all the way around. I have 1/2 cord stacked single row and I am thinking it is some of the best dried oak I've got... too bad I don't have space to do that with all my wood.

Now that I'm 3-4 years ahead I'm doing double stacks but top covering to try and keep water from flowing between the rows. I won't know for another 2 years if it is 'good enough' - I'm now cutting at 21" which is bound to slow the drying down a bit...

I thought Ash would season faster.....I'm shocked that after 2 years you have some that is still above 20%

Yeah I was a bit surprised too about the ash that's kinda why I posted this. I've been worried about having oak stacked the way I did. That the ash didn't dry through and through confirms my fears. At the time I didn't have myself setup. The most recent wood I split going back to last spring and now this fall is double row on pallets or single row. Just gonna have to do some re-stacking. It's worth the extra effort it's gonna be some really nice stuff in 2015.

I've said it over and over again. I have no problem getting wood to dry stacking tight together. Most times the wood is split in spring, top covered usually be December 1 and then sit for 3 years. The center rows are just as dry as the outer rows.
Christmas-2008d.JPG Denny-April 2009h.JPG Getting wood for winter.JPG Wood-3-4-10a.JPG Wood-2012c.JPG

I've said it over and over again. I have no problem getting wood to dry stacking tight together. Most times the wood is split in spring, top covered usually be December 1 and then sit for 3 years. The center rows are just as dry as the outer rows.

Backwoods Savage:

That is some serious wood production you got going on there. Most impressive!

I've been stacking alternate rows on pallets about 4' high, and leave about 2' between each pallet. I like the ease of moving the loaded pallets with my skid steer. I questioned my method in regards to the middle of the pallet, but after seeing your set up I think I'll be fine. The pallets are out in an open field with plenty of sun and wind.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
x2 on Dennis' comments - Mine is stacked 4 and 5 rows deep and is mostly ash with some cherry, maple and mish mash mixed in. Ash is all under 20% with some under 15. My oak is all stacked on it's own and lonely. No problems with tight stacks but your mileage may vary based on conditions. Nothing I have is top covered - I'm working on that.

View attachment 121203 View attachment 121204 View attachment 121205 View attachment 121206 View attachment 121207

Sav I'm sure you're relating your experience accurately. On the other hand my MM or if you prefer something more practical the sizzle tells me some of the ash is wet.

So I'll take a stab at what's going on. 1) Looking at your location I would guess you are getting more wind and sun. 2) I did not stack in 3 tight but distinct rows like what I see you have. My mistake is that I really have one interwoven mass so less opportunity for air flow (see pic). 3) No top cover until the last 6 mo.

So to be safe I'm going to restack.

Attachments

• stacks1.jpg
    stacks1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: gyrfalcon
I put up 4 cords or more of mainly red oak last November (2012) a good portion of which is stacked the same way. This is what I am hoping to burn in 2015. So if some of the ash didn't fully dry the way I had it stacked what chance do I have with oak even if it is left for 3 yr? I think I am going to have to re-stack at least 3 cords to give myself a chance (sigh).
Was it fresh wood or dead standing, and is it top-covered?

I'm going with double rows on pallets with space between the rows. Rows of pallets are spaced wide enough to drive the quad through. All top-covered. I was cutting pallets in half, but I think the full-width pallets will be more stable (I stack in the woods where the ground is soft.) I've got some White Oak stacked like this that was split kind of big....it will have three summers in the stack next fall, so I'll see how it's doing then.
I picked up some dead standing Oak that feels so light that I'm thinking it might be ready by next fall if I get it stacked single-row soon. I'll stick a few splits with the meter to get a better idea where I'm starting from, and weather I think it will have a chance in one summer. I won't need it, just trying to get a better handle on what is possible....

Was it fresh wood or dead standing, and is it top-covered?

I'm going with double rows on pallets with space between the rows. Rows of pallets are spaced wide enough to drive the quad through. All top-covered. I was cutting pallets in half, but I think the full-width pallets will be more stable (I stack in the woods where the ground is soft.) I've got some White Oak stacked like this that was split kind of big....it will have three summers in the stack next fall, so I'll see how it's doing then.
I picked up some dead standing Oak that feels so light that I'm thinking it might be ready by next fall if I get it stacked single-row soon. I'll stick a few splits with the meter to get a better idea where I'm starting from, and weather I think it will have a chance in one summer. I won't need it, just trying to get a better handle on what is possible....

Was fresh (live) when it came down in Oct. Was split in Nov. Gonna restack with a row between stacks for air flow.

I stack 3 deep on pallets, I have 55 feet of stacks and all three rows dry. I do let them go 3 years and I did notice the front row facing the sun does get a little drier. I stacked 2 cords of ash 3 deep and all three rows were under 20% in under a year. Might be the spot you guys are stacking in. Won't hurt to spread them out a little more though so might as well get some exercise.

All I'll say is don't make too much work of it. Ash should be dry after that long no matter what. I'd leave and use it and plan around what you got and go on from there. I hate making things twice as much work.

Sav I'm sure you're relating your experience accurately. On the other hand my MM or if you prefer something more practical the sizzle tells me some of the ash is wet.

So I'll take a stab at what's going on. 1) Looking at your location I would guess you are getting more wind and sun. 2) I did not stack in 3 tight but distinct rows like what I see you have. My mistake is that I really have one interwoven mass so less opportunity for air flow (see pic). 3) No top cover until the last 6 mo.

So to be safe I'm going to restack.

On the contrary, most of that wood was in the shade for most of the day in pictures 2, 3, and 4. Picture 5 was mostly shaded. First picture was about 1/2 sun.

Pictures 1 thru 4 did get good wind. Picture 5 is fair in that regard.

On the contrary, most of that wood was in the shade for most of the day in pictures 2, 3, and 4. Picture 5 was mostly shaded. First picture was about 1/2 sun.

Pictures 1 thru 4 did get good wind. Picture 5 is fair in that regard.

Whatever the case those are nice stacks you got there.-Joe

Last edited:
Thanks jatoxico.

So I went ahead and restacked about 2.25 cord of mostly oak but also a goodly amount of ironwood. Not quite as good looking as some but it's tough w/ scrounge wood, usually bucked to all different sizes. Lots more air though so hopefully no sizzles a couple years from now.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 139
Your stacks look fine. Importance is to get air circulation. Wind and sun are your friend. Wind being best.

Your stacks look fine. Importance is to get air circulation. Wind and sun are your friend. Wind being best.
I'm in better shape now. When I first started trying to get ahead I just didn't have what I needed. Just had a couple pallets so I stacked tight and high to get as much on them as I could. Now with more room to stack I can follow better practices.

Nice, very nice. Being a fortune teller, I can tell you there are very warm, toasty winter ahead for you!==c

Status
Not open for further replies.