Two year old rounds cut to length question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2008
northshore ma
I have a chance to get a cord maybe more of hardwood rounds cut to length but have to split it. I was thinking of splitting this and stacking it in the back of my seasoned and planned on using this wood in the latter part of the season. Any thoughts? Thank you!

It might be ready to go now. Just cause they won't dry as fast in the round doesn't mean they don't dry at all.

Good chance by the end of the season. Even in a couple months, it might be dry enough to mix in with other dry splits if you are looking to stretch your supply.

If need be invest in a $299 electric splitter from Ryobi found at HomeDepot ...with this sucker you can split and burn unseasoned wood almost as if you were burning large splits of seasoned wood...Cheaper than oil, at least today.

I just need one more cord to get through the latter part of the season so I believe then this will be enough time so long as I gather and split this weekend not wasting anytime. I plan to use my maul to split this so I can't wait for the exerciser again

davenorthshorema said:
I have a chance to get a cord maybe more of hardwood rounds cut to length but have to split it. I was thinking of splitting this and stacking it in the back of my seasoned and planned on using this wood in the latter part of the season. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Sounds like a plan

All depends on how the rounds were stored for the past 2 years. If they were standing on end out in the woods.. They will be wet and far from seasoned. If they were stacked on edge up off of the ground they Might be good for now. A might.

I just split some white pine which was in log form in a log pile which had been cut down in May. I bucked it six weeks ago. When I split it (yesterday) I was getting visible moisture on my maul. The white pine that I bucked and split in May is reading around 20%. I won't burn this newer stuff till next year.

JoeyJ said:
If need be invest in a $299 electric splitter from Ryobi found at HomeDepot ...with this sucker you can split and burn unseasoned wood almost as if you were burning large splits of seasoned wood...Cheaper than oil, at least today.

I don't know that it's a good idea to burn green wood regardless of the splitter

As far as the wood, It's been my experience that a downed tree can still be wet a couple of years after the cut, but wood cut into stove lengths will season almpst as fast as split wood if stored in a similar manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.