Two young ones.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Taken a couple days ago from a deer blind.

11-30-11fromblind.gif

The doe on the right doesn't look so young to me......she'd be hanging from the meat pole.

f v

Na. Look at the nose. Really short nose says was this year's fawn. I had 16 deer that night; 15 fawns and one old doe.

Gun Season this week in Ohio. Not a big fan of hunting here. Have land in Ky and can use a Rifle.

Way to many hunters in Ohio, way to close together. Scary.

Good luck Dennis. Hope you bag a Big One.

My back yard. They love the Rice Bran. I put out a coffee can every day.

Attachments

• PICT0081.jpg
    PICT0081.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 613
  • PICT0083.jpg
    PICT0083.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 626
seeyal8r, please tell me more about this rice bran. Is this a cereal?

Backwoods Savage said:
seeyal8r, please tell me more about this rice bran. Is this a cereal?

Its looks like flour but its the color of a biscuit. Its made from the shell husks of rice and is a biproduct. Last year it was $10/50# bag while corn was $5/50# bag. This year it went up to $11/bag until their was a shortage. Its much more conveniently cheaper than Bonedamonium or one of the brand name $20/5# bag things is and it contains a ton of protein and more importantly fat and oil for winter. The down-side.... The downside is that the feeders for this material are expensive. Since its my back yard I just put out a coffee can full a day and buy a couple bags a month through winter.

Its probably the South's best kept secret. If you are hunting over an attractant like corn like we do, we start putting corn in automatic feeders starting in september to catch passing through deer. Starting a week before season we just dump 50# at the base of a tree(to protect it from rain somewhat). And put another 50#'s out 3 days before season before putting several bags the day before season. Deer just line up at it. I'll post some more pics of my rice bran bucket at the house.

You can google 'rice bran deer' and get a ton of info. Or just ask at your local feed store.

Rice Bran, Corn, Rye Grass. $35 for 50# of Rye Grass seed. 8 50# bags of Rice Bran/year @ $10/bag. I buy corn in Bulk and this year bought 1620# for $90. So I'm in it for around $200 and feed about 20 deer every day during the winter and a smaller group of 5-10 during the spring and summer.

Attachments

• PICT0079v.jpg
    PICT0079v.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 489
  • PICT0107v.jpg
    PICT0107v.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 486
  • PICT0142v.jpg
    PICT0142v.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 487
  • PICT0212v.jpg
    PICT0212v.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 497
  • PICT0505s.jpg
    PICT0505s.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 481
  • PICT0650v.jpg
    PICT0650v.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 490
  • PICT1145w.jpg
    PICT1145w.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 486
On a side note I'd been feeding for a long while and never seeing much deer in the evenings or mornings but all the feed was gone and there were plenty of tracks. So I bought a game camera to see if the raccoons or possums were eating everything. Some of the first pics were of multiple bucks fighting over the rice bran... LOL. I just need night vision on my gun scope.

What type of game camera is this . . . thinking about purchasing one.

Wild Game Innovations IRX8. It takes around 1500 night pics before needing a recharge. It came with a battery and 6 volt charger. Did not include memory card. Its 8 megapixel (have to really shrink the files to post them here). Infrared and shoots video 30 seconds long. Its fully adjustable as to delay, amount of motion, time of photos, video or pic, and shows time date and temp. It was one of the more expensive cameras at the time but of course it is cheaper now.

Linky to Camera $120

Dexterday, you need to know where to go! I hunted a state forest Mon-Wednesday and saw no other hunters except what is in my group. Six guys killed five deer, just gotta know where to go.

f v

fireview2788 said:
Dexterday, you need to know where to go! I hunted a state forest Mon-Wednesday and saw no other hunters except what is in my group. Six guys killed five deer, just gotta know where to go.

f v

I still hunt here, I am just not a fan of a shotgun. I use a modern muzzleloader. Much more accurate IMO. I live in the boonies, so land is plentiful. Few buddies with a few hundred acres.

Its the people that "sneak" on to there land that P!$$ me off. Lots of hunters out there, that give hunting a bad name. You either have permission or you dont.

After hunting in Ky with a Rifle for 16 yrs and being able to see farther, shoot farther, and see no one. Kinda spoiled me. I still hunt Ohio. Just look at it differently.

seeyal8r - Nice photos.... Very nice deer.

seeyal8r, thank you for that information. I'll see if I can find any around here. It is difficult to imagine deer passing up corn for something else but if that is possible, I'd like to try it for sure.

Jake, I also have a wildgame inovations trail cam; just a different model. takes good pictures and the only drawback I have right now is that the trigger time tends to be a bit slow. I got so that most of my pictures are video as it takes a nice 30 second video. I bought the camera a year ago and it went bad just before the warranty ran out. They sent me a new one and I have not used it much and won't put it out again until next summer. However, there are both good points and bad points with the newer camera. For one, I don't like how the batteries fit in and it is also difficult to change settings without taking the camera from the tree. But I can live with that so long as the thing works. Not sure why so many makers have problems putting out a decent camera that will last but perhaps it has something to do with the combination of motion and/or heat pulling the trigger. I know some very expensive cameras were all the rage several years ago and one company was almost put out of business because their new cameras were junk.

The type Dennis has can get lost.
Where you put them is critical.
You might forget, so write it down & take a picture of where you put it.
& tell your wife. :)

Great pictures guys.

Yeah my camera is bad about taking a picture of just the back end of a deer if they are walking by. The Rice Bran solves that problem and usually takes a picture when they either raise or lower their head. Not unusual for me to get 1300 pics a week during december and January.

So on the picture taking Jake, never try for a broadside picture. If used on a deer runway, always point it down the runway and not across it.

seeyal8r, no luck finding the stuff yet but found wheat bran. Have you tried that?

Never wheat bran. Maybe its just a southern thing. ... *online research* It would appear that rice bran and wheat bran are similar. I found several recipes for homemade 'cmere deer' and other usually expensive bran based food supplements and they all use wheat bran or rice bran.

The rice bran smells real sweet but tastes bitter to me.

Hey, I'd like that recipe for the cmeer deer. I may get some of the wheat bran to give it a try.

What about the squirrel problem? Would they flock to eat it all before the deer get to it?

Here in Oklahoma some folks would rather eat the squirrels over deer. I just think of them as rats.
Wheat Bran deer mix

the following copy and pasted for a mineral mix.
No secret.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Helpful hints: The best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

Thank you seeyal8r. I'll be mixing some of that up next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.