Type 1 ember protection ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhide371

Dec 13, 2013
NJ
Want to start thinking of ideas to replace the type 2 pad I have under my blazeking sirocco 20. Attached is a picture of the current pad. According to the clearances in the manual this one is pretty over kill and the dealer only offered this size. (Dealer was an airhead) anyway. I want to get rid of this 1.5 inch pad. Any ideas or products?
ba2adyda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How thick you want it to be?
Stove calls for just amber protection right?
You want to talk overkill check mine..lol.

I would go as far as cutting into my floor to make it as flush as possible. So as far as thickness The thinner the better. But I also want to be safe. The 20 is a great stove but loading it with wood can prove tricky. It's small and many a time I've had to pull a log out that has caught fire already... I was even thinking of thin brick?

I dunno. To me what you have looks better then thin brick would look like and stronger for when you drop firewood.

Make your own pad. It's fairly easy. At Lowes, they made all the cuts on their tile saw for me. It was inexpensive and I got exactly what I wanted in terms of both dimensions and tile. It came out better than any manufactured pad. And it was fun.

Hearthpad.jpg

I dunno. To me what you have looks better then thin brick would look like and stronger for when you drop firewood.
Agreed. Looks like a pretty nice pad and paid for.

Ok, well if it's a bust any ideas for a backsplash/mantel behind the stove? What are common materials

Ok, well if it's a bust any ideas for a backsplash/mantel behind the stove? What are common materials
Funny you say that because I was staring at your avatar earlier and was wondering what I would do there. The windows make it more difficult and you have baseboard heat right behind it. So I dunno ..lol.

Funny you say that because I was staring at your avatar earlier and was wondering what I would do there. The windows make it more difficult and you have baseboard heat right behind it. So I dunno ..lol.
I have window treatments now at least haha

There are lots of back wall treatments that could be done. What does the rest of the house suggest for a back wall? Is it contemporary, early American, 50's ? Is stone, tile or brick used elsewhere in the interior decor?

There are lots of back wall treatments that could be done. What does the rest of the house suggest for a back wall? Is it contemporary, early American, 50's ? Is stone, tile or brick used elsewhere in the interior decor?

Yep. I think the whole wall would be needed to be done. I'm no interior decorator but too me it would not look right just doing the area behind the stove.
A pic showing more of that wall/room would be helpful. Then maybe we could go to work on this and spend a lot of his money..lol.

Now I'm more confused..the black coach is backwards to the stove?
Wheres the tv?
You need to back off on the camera ..more wide angle or something..lol.
Maybe stand in the doorway from the next room?

That's a little better.

Man tough room here and there it seems!

I'd have to start all over..no offense intended!

Tv seems way high..just saying i get a stiff neck easy!

I don't like the room broke in two like that though it may work fine for you guys.

They may have to set up a special section for us interior decorators. lol

So for starters you could flip the couch around and put it under the tv then we can go from there. lol

Last edited:
My wife and I had talked about having the stove on one wall and our tv on the opposite wall. Neither she nor I know anything about decorating. Fortunately, our interior decorator vetoed that. She said there needs to be one focal wall; not two on opposite sides of the room. Other than that, I think it's a perfectly attractive setup. I like the plain wall behind the stove. I like the way it's centered between two windows. I like the color of the couch and how it blends with the stove. I love that big wooden box.

I have no idea how you fix this given that the tv won't move to the same wall as the stove and moving the stove would be a pain. Of course it might give you a chance to get a straight run on the chimney pipe and get rid of that bend.

Of course take all of this for what it's worth. Everyone has an opinion. There's no right or wrong. If you like it that's all that counts.

Agreed, thanks for the input! After some thinking I could have cornered it here. But what are ya gonna do. I'm over moving anything now. Especially after the installer fell thru the ceiling. Haha.
tetyda5y.jpg
corner with the lamp. Just attic space above it.

Agreed, thanks for the input! After some thinking I could have cornered it here. But what are ya gonna do. I'm over moving anything now. Especially after the installer fell thru the ceiling. Haha.
tetyda5y.jpg
corner with the lamp. Just attic space above it.

Yeah, the tv could be moved a bit to the right and that would be a great spot. Alas, it keeps you just as warm on the other side of the room.

Maybe when I'm done getting the lawn going/ re paving the un graded driveway. Fixing the landscaping and taking down an ugly uncared for pine I'll get to moving it... First home

Maybe when I'm done getting the lawn going/ re paving the un graded driveway. Fixing the landscaping and taking down an ugly uncared for pine I'll get to moving it... First home
So tomorrow then? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.