Type of Attic Hatch Cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRGarrott

Sep 22, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I am finishing my attic insulation today. It took me waaaay to long. I have about 4" of loose fill cellulose that has settled and spread out over the last 60 years. On top of that is 1/2" pine boards, not fitted tight. On top of that is two 2" layers of R-13 Polyiso foam board. So R-26. The seams are staggered. I think overall I did a really good job on the foam insulation, and the only thing left to do is the attic hatch. It has pull down stairs, that are also 60 years old, and don't fit very tight. Whatever I put up is going to have to attach to 4" of foam board, or through it, but I can figure that part out on my own. I am currently looking at the Attic Tent, Battic Door, and Therma Dome. The surface the door will attach to will not be particularly flat. I am not going to be in this house in 5 years, and money is always tight, but i can spend the extra cash to get an easy to install and effective product.

I'm sure the subject has been discussed before, i tried searching but had no luck.

What I have looks most like the "Therma Dome". Frankly that $175 cost is crazy.

I would suggest you make your own (NOT hard from the construction of this). Buy the foam board (as thick as you can handle) then cut the pieces (four sides and top), then get some good weather stripping for the bottom. The thing is held down by some velcro - basically nail in one of those wide wire holders (looks like a staple with plastic protection) that the velcro can loop through when you come down the hatch.

I imagine you can glue the pieces together or screw them for the foam board (or a bit of both). I can't imagine you would be out more than $50 for materials and it really should be an easy construction.

The Attic Tent looks like it would be good for air infiltration but less value for insulation, the Battic Door looks like the ThermaDome but with batts of insulation glued to top/sides - you could do that too.

Reactions: NRGarrott
Thank you slow1. I'm sure I could make one, the problem is the only way i could talk my wife into moving into a 900 square foot beach cottage was that the whole attic is hers for storage. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to construct something with glues and screws that wouldn't fall apart with frequent usage. She typically needs to access the attic once a week, sometimes 3 times a day though. I'm leaning towards attic tent because air infiltration is a much bigger deal i feel. Or maybe a homemade one that just lightly sits above the attic tent, she can slide it to the side, and the attic tent will take care of infiltration.

Thank you slow1. I'm sure I could make one, the problem is the only way i could talk my wife into moving into a 900 square foot beach cottage was that the whole attic is hers for storage. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to construct something with glues and screws that wouldn't fall apart with frequent usage. She typically needs to access the attic once a week, sometimes 3 times a day though. I'm leaning towards attic tent because air infiltration is a much bigger deal i feel. Or maybe a homemade one that just lightly sits above the attic tent, she can slide it to the side, and the attic tent will take care of infiltration.

Well, the one I have is a commercial (not home made) and it is held together by glue. We don't access it nearly that often - given that requirement the 'tent' may be the best for you - seems very easy to open/close and if the zipper is of decent quality it should hold up. I would be concerned that my wife would toss whatever cover aside and not bother using it if she was up there weekly... we don't always share the same priorities :)

My wife and I do not always share the same priorities either, but I think she will use whatever as long as it isn't a hassle. If it becomes difficult I'm sure the chance that she "forgets" will go up.

I built one out of scraps I had left over from other projects, 3" of polyiso. Buy a bag of bamboo skewers for $2, and use them as fasteners, inserting at varying angles to perpendicular to avoid pullout. With some construction glue also, solid as a rock.

I would be careful to avoid a tripping hazard near the opening....i.e. I didn't like solutions involving a tall 'lip' fixed to the floor with a flat lid.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I have about 4" of loose fill cellulose that has settled and spread out over the last 60 years. On top of that is 1/2" pine boards, not fitted tight. On top of that is two 2" layers of R-13 Polyiso foam board.

Sorry for my stupid question but would that foam board not act as a vapor barrier and should therefore go under the cellulose? I had read quite a bit about attic insulation and that was my takeaway from it, at least.

Grisu, there are two things to keep in mind about vapor barriers, condensation point, and how the wall will dry. Obviously two vapor barriers will not allow a wall to dry, and that is a bad thing. My ceiling will dry towards the house because I do not have a vapor barrier before any insulation. The paint may act as a retarder, but not a barrier. Also 4" of Polyiso board is R-26, this is high enough that condensation on the cold side in the summer is not an issue, aka the interior. In an ideal world the polyiso would be first, then cellulose on top. It's not ideal, but I'm betting $3,000 that it works. I sure hope I'm not wrong.

Reactions: woodgeek
I made one out of foam board and gorilla glue. (had to make it in the attic, too big to carry up the stairs. Also made one to cover the whole house fan. It sure isnt perfect, but its very functional. IR thermometer measurements of the cieling show no cold spots. Actually might be a bit warmer than the surrounding area. there aer lot sof gaps at the bottom, but again, i figure I solved 95% of the issue with this, and I will focus my efforts on the other big returns, not the small stuff.

Foam board and glue, works great. I think i used 2" board, maybe 1.5", dont recall.

Reactions: woodgeek
Status
Not open for further replies.