Type of bulbs to use in a suspended ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, I am beginning to get the basement playroom done for the boys as they are getting louder, and louder and LOUDER, lol.

Anyway, I have several recessed cans like in the attached pic, and although I have CFL's in the majority of them, I was looking to put 2 incandecents in as I would like "instant" light vs the 2 minute wait for the cfl's to get up to brightness.

I've read that the incandecents get pretty hot and may not be a good choice with the ceiling tiles, and that I should go with LED's or CFL.s (The attached pik is a good example of each light fixure, the insulation is "above" the can, not around it)

Will be nice when this room is done.

Attachments

• light photo.jpg
    light photo.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 206
  • light 2.jpg
    light 2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 204
That's going to depend a lot on the fixture you used. Some are rated for direct contact so you shouldn't have any heat issues, others you may have to be more careful with. I put up cans in our basement over the winter and have CFLs in all of them. They get bright enough fast enough that I didn't use any incandescent bulbs.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm installing a suspended ceiling in our basement and was wondering about lighting.

I can't imagine why you'd go incandescent for this application when there are some many good alternatives now. The CFLs we use seem to come on almost instantly at full brightness.* I've also been very impressed by the $10 LEDs we bought at Home Depot. They start fast, run cool, ,and put out great light quality.

* Actually, the CFL floods we use outside take about a minute to ramp up to full brightness.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm installing a suspended ceiling in our basement and was wondering about lighting.

I can't imagine why you'd go incandescent for this application when there are some many good alternatives now. The CFLs we use seem to come on almost instantly at full brightness.* I've also been very impressed by the $10 LEDs we bought at Home Depot. They start fast, run cool, ,and put out great light quality.

* Actually, the CFL floods we use outside take about a minute to ramp up to full brightness.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pick up some new cfls and perhaps go with a better brand. (The ones I have are probably 3-5 years old, so perhaps they are on their way out)
Man, putting up this ceiling is like playing jenga...I had very little clearance right near the sewer line, so I had to put a panel in like 6 spaces down and float it across to the correct spot :)
I definately learned by error in putting up the ceiling, so let me know if you want any tips on my errors :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pick up some new cfls and perhaps go with a better brand. (The ones I have are probably 3-5 years old, so perhaps they are on their way out)
Man, putting up this ceiling is like playing jenga...I had very little clearance right near the sewer line, so I had to put a panel in like 6 spaces down and float it across to the correct spot :)

I definately learned by error in putting up the ceiling, so let me know if you want any tips on my errors :)
I may be hitting you via PM once I get started. I can always use good advice, especially on how you do the lighting.

LEDs are the way to go if you leave them on for extended periods of time,for just occasional use the cost may not justify the means. I have a lot of CFLs and i dont even notice "warm up time". Get em at Sam club for around $1 each

I've picked up a LED floodlight (and some regular A19 LED bulbs) from BJ's that with the Electric Company rebate were a bit easier on the wallet to mix in with the slow starting CFls, just to have some light on instantly.

your from mass! heres your best option.... call mass save (or look em up online), im not sure if you have Nstar, but if you do call them and say you want an energy audit done.... then just wait for the big truck pull up and replace every light in your home and outside lights as well with the best CFl's for your applications for FREE....totally FREE!!!

In the case of your rec. basement lights they will give you those wide flood type bulbs with the spiral inside the flood glass (very expensive suckers at about $5-$9 each at wallmart!)

Status
Not open for further replies.