"Type of Fuel" question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

op_man1

Mar 11, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Does anyone know where to get low emission coke/coal based logs or briquettes for wood stoves or furnaces?

I heard this is used in other countries but don't know if this is common in North America (have not seen anything in stores).

thanks!

Are you talking about torrified wood?

No, something coal / coke based, not wood based.

Standard barbeque briquets are based on coal dust. Not sure if one can buy them in bulk. If not, they would be an expensive way to heat.

Could it be you're thinking of one of the sapropelic coals, like cannel coal or boghead coal? These are similar to peat, but burn much hotter and cleaner because of their higher hydrogen content, thought to be due to having formed in lakes, rather than bogs. I once saw compressed cannel coal dust, packaged in cardboard cubes, for sale as fuel at a local Western Farmers store, but that was years ago, and I haven't seen it since. Being from Ontario, you might have better luck finding boghead coal (torbanite): the largest known deposits in the world are in Nova Scotia.

Status
Not open for further replies.