Type of Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usernametaken

Burning Hunk
Nov 25, 2017
Western, MA
I was working through the last of the logs that my tree guy left when clearing my lot before we built the house. I came across what appeared to be an oak from the appearance of the end grain. We have plenty of red oak and some white on the property but the bark of this tree is very different from either of the more common oaks. It has a lot more brown to it and before I cut into it, I assumed it was another red maple as the bark looked so similar. When splitting, it's closer to a yellow color half way between white and red oak and it's quite stringy. I have heard of yellow oak in the north east but when I looked it up, it has a completely different bark so that's not it. I can't go by the leaves since it's been down for a few years. Thoughts on what it might be?

IMG_9679.JPG
IMG_9681.JPG

Red oak top, white oak with rays bottom.
90yrs old. The canopy must have been open for the first dozen years, then closed in. The trees must be fairly tall and straight.

1.jpg

The bark is only a bit light from sitting in the sun for a few years. We have a lot of white oak and even more red oak. This is something different. Just not sure what... unless it's some variation of white. Our white has an almost white grayish bark that is soft to the touch on younger trees with very close ribbing.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but it certainly looks like white oak. On our property the bark on the white oaks will vary from tree to tree. Some of them have the more classic flaky and light gray bark, but others have a more solid texture. In fact, some of the trees will have the more solid bark near the base, but about 10 ft up, it becomes the classic gray, flaky bark that you describe.

But I will say that there are many types of oak, and some look very similar to one another. Do you have any leaves from the tree you could take a pic of? The shape of the leaf can help identify.

I guess I'll go with the consensus Brian. It must be a white with a little variation from the norm on the bark. I was just out walking the property and looked at all the known white oaks. They all look the same no matter if they are 8" across or 3' across. This guy must have been the black sheep.... ;) I don't have any leaves to identify as this tree was dropped when the property was cleared back in 18. Ah well, I'm sure it will burn good whatever it is... :) I have another odd oak on the property that I want to ID too. It's still standing so I'll wait until the leaves come out in the spring to make it easier. Almost smooth bark to it. With the unseasonal warm temps this fall, we've been working in the woods a lot chipping brush and neatening things up. I've found we have another interesting variation that is spread out pretty well across our land. We have a decent supply of Goosefoot Striped Maple. It's small and I'm not cutting it for firewood but never heard of it before spotting it here.

You are right, whatever type of oak it is, it will burn very nicely!

I'm also thinking white oak, but not sure from those photos.

Like I said, it could well just be a natural variation of a white. The biggest variation surprise I ever found was at my first house. The front yard was overgrown with many red maple that were never cleared when building. After we bought it, we selectively cut about half the trees to get a decent lawn. I didn't realize until I had already bucked all the logs to 18" that two out of the five trees we dropped were tiger maple... Straight as an arrow with no low branches or knots either... That was a kick in the pants...

Interesting find. The bark sure looks right. Looking at the range map, it would appear that it does exist in a narrow swath to the west of me so it's definitely possible...

I'm thinking white oak also, I've got some that have an almost honey color inside when split. Unless it's a varation of white. I see some leaves on them, are they from the wood in question, are they in good enough shape to id?

As I said earlier, this tree has been down since 2018 so no leaves to identify. It's too bad that most websites that do tree id are leaf only and don't do bark id. I'll have to see if I can find a good tree id book for myself for Christmas. 99% are obvious but every once in a while one comes along and stumps me... Pun intended... ;)

Last edited: