Types of ash? Swamp ash stringy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinny

Dec 26, 2012
My grandpa was saying their is a difference in ash trees here in Indiana. You can get some "swamp ash". This swamp ash doesn't split well and when you run it through the splitter it is very stringy/doesn't want to come apart. On the other side there is the ash that splits like ice.

I have been splitting up a bunch of ash trees and definitely am finding both. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences, proper names, and identification?

Probably green ash vs white ash.

Reactions: Spinny
I've only split white and blue ash and both are very easy to split except for crotch pieces and those dang pieces that have the hidden knots, Those are worse than the crotch pieces. I believe the difference between white and green ash is best seen in the leaves, buds and fruit because the bark is about the same. Blue ash is easy to spot because the bark is somewhat scaly not deeply furrowed like white and green ash. I've never seen black ash so I can't say about that other than I've hear some folks call black ash swamp ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.