types of fire starters....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hey guys. I can start a fire just fine, but thats always been in a fireplace. I always used newspaper and some kindling and that was that. I do however also use junk mail, paper bags, anything paper and non colored that can burn. I use the cardboard paper towel things, pallet wood, and one thing I found that works really well is the shredded paper from my office paper shredder.

Are the above things ok to use as I move from fireplace to wood burning stove or do I need to fine tune my list?

I think I will try and make my own wax firestarters with sawdust this year too if thats a good way to do it? I wonder about the wax creating any problems.

Thanks!

I just use kindling, newspaper and the top down method but everything you listed is fine. Wax shouldn't be a problem since pretty much all of the commercial firestarters have wax in them.

I'll burn anything but plywood, particle board, and pressure treated wood...stuff with lots of glue & poison in it. Well, then there are a few other things I won't burn. I really make an effort not to burn human flesh...particularly my own. Just to make sure my stovepipe & chimney are staying squeaky clean, I toss a live ferret into the stove every fourth day or so during the coldest part of winter. For more of my tips, visit: Logs_of_Our_Lives.org Rick

You inhumane beast !!

The poor ferrets!

*Forgive me Father, for I have just sinned*
0048.gif

Some of you will probably disagree and this may not be for everyone but here goes.I take homosote cut it into 4"x4" squares on the tablesaw.Take a sheetrock bucket and add a gal. of #2 fuel.Fill the bucket with the blocks of homosote,let them absorb all the oil.Use them one at a time to light your fire.They work great!

Shogunjack said:
You inhumane beast !!

The poor ferrets!

Would you rather live in a world completely overrun by both people's discarded ferrets and creosote? I figure I'm just making my own humble contribution to maintaining nature's exquisite balance. Rick

fossil said:
I'll burn anything but plywood, particle board, and pressure treated wood...stuff with lots of glue & poison in it. Well, then there are a few other things I won't burn. I really make an effort not to burn human flesh...particularly my own. Just to make sure my stovepipe & chimney are staying squeaky clean, I toss a live ferret into the stove every fourth day or so during the coldest part of winter. For more of my tips, visit: Logs_of_Our_Lives.org Rick

Well congratulations....for the first time in a long time, I don't know what to say. lol

NHFarmer said:
Some of you will probably disagree and this may not be for everyone but here goes.I take homosote cut it into 4"x4" squares on the tablesaw.Take a sheetrock bucket and add a gal. of #2 fuel.Fill the bucket with the blocks of homosote,let them absorb all the oil.Use them one at a time to light your fire.They work great!

What is homosote?

tlhfirelion said:
NHFarmer said:

What is homosote?

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homasote

I wouldn't do what NHFarmer does for two reasons...the glue in the Homasote, and the fuel. But, then if it works for him, what the heck. Rick

All I know is that I'm stayin' away from Fossil's place.

I picked up a pack of "Fatwood" at Menards last season and really liked it. I think it's some sort of resinous softwood that lights really easy. It works great for helping kick off the rest of the kindling.

My fire starting method used two pieces of newspaper, two sticks of Fatwood, and some small kindling. I used a pseudo "top down" method. Not exactly what was shown in the video, but but bigger stuff was on the bottom of the stack in the stove.

-SF

I haven't tried these yet, but lots of folks here rave about them. I e-mailed the place and asked for a free sample, and within just a couple of days, I got two of these little pucks in the mail. From what I've read here, you can cut them into three or four pieces, because a little is all you need. I'll be giving them a try when burning season comes 'round...gotta be easier than spending a lot of time out in the snow splitting little kindling pieces. We'll see. Rick

http://www.supercedar.com/

fossil said:
I haven't tried these yet, but lots of folks here rave about them. I e-mailed the place and asked for a free sample, and within just a couple of days, I got two of these little pucks in the mail. From what I've read here, you can cut them into three or four pieces, because a little is all you need. I'll be giving them a try when burning season comes 'round...gotta be easier than spending a lot of time out in the snow splitting little kindling pieces. We'll see. Rick

http://www.supercedar.com/

Yep Fossil, they sucked my in. :)

I beat you and have tried their little round pucks. They work great so I ordered the box of 100. A little more than the firestarters I have used but a lot cleaner. The other firestarters had to be cut into smaller pieces to use for starting and they often left lots of debris after stabbing them with a screwdriver. These round pucks have split lines on them and break up easily into four starters. I think for the four little individual chuncks to start a fire you would need some kindling with them. With the other brand I didn't need any kindling but broke them into larger pieces. If you used a whole puck I don't think you would need any kindling with it either.

Thought for once I would support an American business and felt good about it. Got them right away after ordering and will know more by spring. I carry one in my car just in case I get stranded and need a fire. :)

I have a lot of white cedar so have alredy cut and split a full garbage container full for the winter. Plenty more to split if I need more.

I have gobs of kindling, as I'm splitting a boatload of wood...saving up all those inevitable bits & pieces in whatever containers I can find. I figured on building the fire my old fashioned way, except for the crumpling up the newspaper part, which is my least favorite step in the process. I'm hoping that a chunk o' puck and some kindling & scraps will get the job done. We'll see, I'm optimistic about it, and it's so darn hot here today, I gotta say I'm looking forward to it. %-P Rick

SlyFerret said:
All I know is that I'm stayin' away from Fossil's place.

You have absolutely nothing to fear, SF...I'm sure you're way too big for either of my fireboxes, and cutting the ferrets into pieces is just too messy...besides, the clean you get that way isn't nearly so squeaky. :cheese: Rick

I have found a great fire starter is made from waxed cardboard boxes. I pick one up from the grocery store and cut it into about 3" x 6" pieces and use a couple of these among the wood sticks. It's tidier and more compact than newspaper and works great. It's also much easier to cut than plain cardboard.

P.S. NHFarmer: Pay no mind to the Homosotephobes.

Waxed pieces of card board have long been a staple of fronteersmen and scouts alike. They do burn wonderfully. I do burn all my plywood scraps but refuse to burn particle board or PT lumber as the former has formaldehyde in it while the latter has inorganic arsenicals in it. I also will use as kindling pieces of scrap with one latex painted side..

NHFarmer said:
I do about the same thing works great

sawdustburners said:
smokinj said:
NHFarmer said:
be aware that if k2 gets a chance to vaporize[ as from hot coals] & then ignites a cloud= BOOM!
if i got coals i dont need k2 and this its for most people iam sure of that

sawdustburners said:
smokinj said:
sawdustburners said:
smokinj said:
NHFarmer said:
be aware that if k2 gets a chance to vaporize[ as from hot coals] & then ignites a cloud= BOOM!
i never know what people know
& then i start to think
when the $hit hits the fan & there is no plan
the air begins to stink
Thats why nhfarmer said peolpe would disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best thing I have come across is those coffee cup holders, we call them Tim Trays up here in Canada, they are recycled cardboard and they are used to place coffee cups in, four per tray

Lay the tray upside down in your wood stove and then lay small kindling across the tray and light the tray. The air holes in the try work perfect for funneling up air and ignite the kindling that is resting above, and a tray will burn about 1-2 minutes.

I have quite a stash of trays in my shed, people drop the off at my desk at work...

I use Pallet wood and newspaper. This year I will be trying small chunks of a duraflame log along with pallets.

sawdustburners said:
smokinj said:
sawdustburners said:
smokinj said:
sawdustburners said:
smokinj" date="1219698627 said:
NHFarmer" date="1215929411 said:
i never know what people know
& then i start to think
when the $hit hits the fan & there is no plan
the air begins to stink
Thats why nhfarmer said peolpe would disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
actually i do similar with pellets,newspaper,& k2 But i know what vaporization is.
I must have a grasp on it,Iam still here and sure wont use it unless i was starting with nothing (new fire)

Status
Not open for further replies.