types of fire starters....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to start the fire with good old BBQ fluid. Depending on the brand you buy, some goes up like gasoline and some is really slow to light. Generally, the cheap off brand stuff catches to fast to be safe. I found Kingsford brand to be rather hard to ignite and that's good. Once it lights we were off to the races.

When I didnt have the $$ for firewater, I have phone books. a thick phone book will supply fire starting for a long time. (one page at a time).

I once bought a case of cool wax/sawdust firestarters that actually had a match head at the end and you struck them on the side of the box. havent seen those in a long time.

Now my GF one xmas bought me a little cast iron kettle with a long rod with a stone on the end. you half fill the little kettle with paraffin oil (good 99% smokeless/odorless stuff, it costs $$$ but its worth it) and you take the rock (ok its a ceramic ball) on a stick that's soaked with the oil and set it in the firebox and then drop some kindling and splints on top, then you light the stone. It burns for about 10 minutes, long enough to warm the pipe and get the fire going. It's a very cool gadget, and thats what I use now.

The rock ball wont really light, in fact its nearly impossible to get lit, unless you dip the thing in the ash bucket to get some ash on it (it sticks to the wet stone) and for some reason, then it'll light up easy.
The fire and wood catches fire fast, so I usually set the stone in the grate for the first 5 min of its burn while I'm gathering the wood up, and it does a nice job of warming up the pipes, and getting a nice draft going.

http://www.gardeners.com/Cape-Cod-Fire-Starter/35-438,default,pd.html

A link, in case ya want one too.

I tend to knock stuff over, so I have mine sitting in a coffee can back in a corner. This yr I might braze its little legs to a small steel plate to make it tip-over-proof.

I think you can braze cast Iron.... Maybe I'll just JB weld it.

OH and one winter I had a coffee can packed full of sawdust and I poured in enough rubbing alcohol to just reach the top of the dust. An old tablespoon scoop of this stuff would light easy and get a pile of kindling going pretty easy.

For some reason they started making 70% rubbing alcohol 50%, and it didnt work as well. For the cost of a bottle of 70% I can buy a quart of cheap BBQ firewater and have instant gratification with one or 2 squirts.

wow I guess that is what fueled those bad wild fires you guys had! looks like good stuff. I was a police officer in Harlem during the 1980s The bad guys would throw flaming christmas trees of the project roofs. Man those babys looked like Haleys comit!

sorry was commenting on the Ausies pine niddle fire starter

Status
Not open for further replies.