Types of Hardwood differ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, this is the first winter that I have burned wood 100% off of my own property..Its a mixture of predominatly soft maple and cherry with alittle red oak mixed in..In the past I ahve ordered wood that was predominatly hard maple, ash, red oak.. I must admit that I do not get the btu's or longer burn times with the soft maple etc...I knew that going in but figured I would just burn more wood which I have, I mean its basically free. THis past fall I have more red oak bucked up already for this coming season.. Imight look around and drop some hard maple if I can find it or simply order a cord of logs of hard mapole to mix in.

We love soft maple! We love the cherry even more.

During the daytime when we are here we burn just about 100% soft maple. The cherry we save until nights to go along with our ash.

Doesn't that give you a great feeling knowing all the wood you burn has come off your own land? Why not? After all, you are paying taxes on it whether you are getting the benefits of fuel or not. Taxes always come. It is just a very satisfying feeling getting your needs met on your own place and done by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.