Types of pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
There's a guy selling pellets at a local lumber yard that i think he's making them himself. How do i know if the quality of the pellets are good. Should i buy a bag or two to try them out?? What should i look for as far as quality?

Also my glass is getting dirty faster these days is there anything i can do?

The best way to see if the pellets suit you and your stove, is to try several bags. Make sure the bags claim to be "Premium" or you can expect a lot of ash.

Some things to look for in a pellet are:
1. How well it burns in your stove.
2. The amount of heat output BTUs.
3. The amount of ash produced.

If your glass is getting dirtyier than normal, while burning the same pellets as before, than a good cleaning is probably in order. Your glass is kept clean by the flow of air across the glass ("air wash). Perhaps your air flow is restricted due to buildup of ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.