1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Types of Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by FISHBONZ, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FISHBONZ

FISHBONZ New Member

Loc:
    Kirkwood, MO
    What are your thoughts on different types of wood? I have a reputable tree service which sells year-old cords of wood for $200. They said it contains Oak, Ash, Hickory and Cherry.

Sorry if this is a duplicate of others but I could not find this information on another thread.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Your list contains some excellent burning wood. It simply depends on if $200 is the going rate in your area. Call around and get a feel for whats normal in your area.
  3. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    So what do you want to know? I guess I am confused. All the wood species you listed are really good firewood trees. Are you wanting to know if that is a good deal? If that is what you are asking then it all depends on the area of the country you are in. Out east that would be a pretty good deal, here in michigan that is kinda high for any kind of wood. What are cords going for in your area. This seems like a good mix of wood so if the going rate is 200 then I would get it. Dont get much better wood wise than that mix. Hope I helped.
  4. FISHBONZ

FISHBONZ New Member

Loc:
    Kirkwood, MO
    Thanks. Wanted to know if that mix was good and my question got answered. By the way, guys are asking about $85 for a face cord in this area. I think $200 is a great deal if they truely mean a full cord.
  5. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    Just be careful, I'd be present when they deliver and make sure the proof is in the pudding. Year old cords lying around in log form that were split a month ago are gonna be wet....especially Oak. If they are talking wood that was split a year ago...then you are all set. Ask, see what they say.

Ash is good either way, in a pinch this late in the season, I'd take a load of Ash vs wet oak anyday.

WoodButcher
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.