Typical Hybrid Flue Temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello there! Thinking of replacing my oversized Englander 30 with a Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 or 60. I would keep my secondary flue temps around 600 and I'd barely have any soot at the end of the year going through a couple cords.

I've always been a bit nervous about catalytic stoves because of their low flue temps. I have a 22' flue with 10' of it external. Although I always try to have dry wood, sometimes it isn't as good as I'd like.

With the hybrid stoves, what flue temps are you typically seeing during normal operation with decent wood? Thanks!

non-ideal wood is the biggest concern with the new stoves. if it isn't ~<20 %MC you're going to be frustrated. flue temps are solely based on how you control the stove. if you let it rage you'll have the flue glowing; you can also choke it down below 400 but you'll be risking creosote.

you don't have to run the stove extremely low. if i have secondaries going my flue is above the range you'd be concerned about creosote. once it gets to the coal phase flue temps may drop, but you also don't have the same concern about creosote at that point.

I remember that struggle even with my 2010 EPA Englander 30. One year seasoned red oak with a MC of about 25%. Took forever to get going and frustrated the heck out of me. 3 year seasoned, <20% MC and it ran great!

Back then this was my primary source of heat. Now it will be the secondary source so I can pick and choose my wood a bit more carefully, maybe even supplement some compressed wood bricks. Thanks!