U.S. Stove Company?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Found a decent looking used United States Stove Company unit. Says is 112,000 btu and comes with blower, and about 2 years old.
Is this a unit worth looking at for $5-600

Attachments

• usstove.jpg
    usstove.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 138
Found a decent looking used United States Stove Company unit. Says is 112,000 btu and comes with blower, and about 2 years old.
Is this a unit worth looking at for $5-600

Need more info. What size firebox is it?

Aren't "U.S. Stove Company" stoves made in China?

No, not all.

Reactions: jeff_t
Rparker, what are you looking to do with this stove?

If it were me I would not pay more than $500. I'd offer them $450 if its in good condition. But then this is the time of year it may go for the asking price. I have no first hand knowledge of USSC so my opinion is based soley on 'it's just a used stove'.

This is going to replace an existing unit. The VOLUME of the space is approx 10,000 cu.ft. It is a converted barn, decent insulation (working on that). Cathedral ceilings with fans.
This is the primary heat.

This is going to replace an existing unit. The VOLUME of the space is approx 10,000 cu.ft. It is a converted barn, decent insulation (working on that). Cathedral ceilings with fans.
This is the primary heat.

I would go larger. To put it in perspective, the old Vigilant I had was a bit larger than 2.5 cu ft and was rated for up to 8,000 cu ft.

I would look for a 3+ cu ft stove. If you are on a budget, the Englander 30 can be had for $899 on home depot. Probably the cheapest large stove you will be able to find new. I was able to find a VC Defiant model 1945 last February for $400 in like-new condition, so good deals are out there for used stoves, but you need to be prepared to wait until you find the right deal. And you need to be prepared to drive a long distance to grab the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.