Uber Holz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking HH! How high up do you go. I found out it was a real pain to retrieve the wood in the middle of winter, when it's over 7' tall.

It's only about 6'. I ran out of wood, but I'd stop at 7', too. The first one was really tall and too narrow.

Now, I go back to rebuilding the original, so we'll have 2 small 'wood buns'. I think one stack at 12' base about 8' high would do both, easily. I'd do that if I were starting over. Be about 5 1/2 cords.

Also, I don't know if haufen dry wood any faster, but it does seem to hold a bit of heat, which might help drying.

For what it's worth, my 4' regular stacks of fruitwood settled, shifted and fell over twice, too, which is why I did the haufen. Figured I'd have enough straight ones for the outside and just chuck the odd stuff in the center, as Mo says. Short, cranked wood takes care to stack any way you do it.

Regardings dimensions, my wife walked by and breezily said, 'use the Golden Ratio'. If it's good for best selling fiction, it's good for wood stacking. It's probably right, too - 1:1.618 or 12' base by 7 1/2' height.

My big HH bulged, so this time, before it flopped over, I went out and disassembled the bulge. I think that stopped the instability, but I haven't been out there for a while, and I still need to reassemble the part I took down. It only took a little while, maybe 20 minutes, to get the bulge out and probably saved about 3 or 4 times the amount removed from falling over. Let me see if I can dig up a pic...

Can't find what I'm looking for. Might have lost those pics in the last computer failure... If I find them, I'll post them.

Here's a photo of the partially disassembled holz hausen. As soon as I have all my mulch spread, the shrubs trimmed, etc., I'm going to get right on rebuilding it. ;)

Attachments

• S7000605.jpg
    S7000605.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 449
Status
Not open for further replies.