Ugh...Woodstove problems....Anyone know what this is??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verynycegirl

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
Hey everyone!

My woodstove has been giving me so much trouble I haven't had time to even log onto hearth.com. The pipe fell off the back of my woodstove on Monday night....the pipe was not even screwed on or anything...It just fell off when I was shaking it to put coal in....A friend did come over and put screws on both the pipe that attaches to the woodstove and where the pipe goes into the wall(brick) but it doesn't seem to be drafting well. Keep having problems with smoke and have a heck of a time getting a good fire going. When he put the pipe back in I know he tipped the stove forward quite a bit in order to get the pipe back in and this morning while I was sweeping behind the woodstove I found this metal piece, which I'm sure must belong in the woodstove....I'm including a picture of it. Anyone know what it is?? Is it important??

Thanks,
Tracy

Attachments

• woodstove.JPG
    woodstove.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 841
It doesn't look like part of a stove to me. Looks more like a piece of an old poker or something.

Has it been warmer weather lately? If so, that might be part of your drafting problem. Better take a look up your chimney just to be sure that it isn't getting a lot of creosote built up.

Verynycegirl said:
Hey everyone!

My woodstove has been giving me so much trouble I haven't had time to even log onto hearth.com. The pipe fell off the back of my woodstove on Monday night....the pipe was not even screwed on or anything...It just fell off when I was shaking it to put coal in....A friend did come over and put screws on both the pipe that attaches to the woodstove and where the pipe goes into the wall(brick) but it doesn't seem to be drafting well. Keep having problems with smoke and have a heck of a time getting a good fire going. When he put the pipe back in I know he tipped the stove forward quite a bit in order to get the pipe back in and this morning while I was sweeping behind the woodstove I found this metal piece, which I'm sure must belong in the woodstove....I'm including a picture of it. Anyone know what it is?? Is it important??

Thanks,
Tracy

That piece looks like it might have come from inside the stove cause it has the orange color....no clue what it was though....

Hopefully, your friend cleaned any flyash out from the elbos and stuff like that.

The bad weather (up until yesterday) would make most stoves and fireplace perform poorly. Let us know how it goes in the next day ro two.

Does your stove have a bypass or some sort - meaning an internal damper that you might open or close from the side or read of the stove? if so, this piece could be part of that assembly.

Webmaster said:
Verynycegirl said:
That piece looks like it might have come from inside the stove cause it has the orange color....no clue what it was though....

Hopefully, your friend cleaned any flyash out from the elbos and stuff like that.

The bad weather (up until yesterday) would make most stoves and fireplace perform poorly. Let us know how it goes in the next day ro two.

Does your stove have a bypass or some sort - meaning an internal damper that you might open or close from the side or read of the stove? if so, this piece could be part of that assembly.

It has a bottom door that you can open and it has the damper on the pipe itself....not sure if I'm being much help though. The stove itself is still not burning as well but I did re-adjust the back metal piece (I'm sorry I don't know the proper terms for all of these things) and it seems to be burning a little bit better....but still not as good as before this akll happened....I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope it gets better!

Tracy

that part looks like a rotary damper drive shaft. Behind your wood stove is there a tee type nob that turns? Usually located in the brick facing. Re post pictures of your setup again. I am wondering when the pipe fell down, if it just ended beyond your damper, that the original damper closed or particially closed. This would explain why now your stove is having a hard time working or drafting. Remember your stove is 25 years old and installations made then would not pass the mustard today. It is possible that your stove is only vented to the damper and that the damper has to be fully open held in place by that shaft?

Elk,

Here is the picture of my woodstove....as always yours & everyone here on hearthnet's help is greatly appreaciated!!

Tracy

Attachments

• woodstove.JPG
    woodstove.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 550
any way to get a picture of wha is under that overhang and what is that tin foil look above the vent pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.