Uglies and Shorties Etiquite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Last year I started my first pallet bin. Actually I was so impressed with how awesome it was I built three more. I separated each bin into oak and non-oak. Then loaded them to the top and top covered with a tarp. I would think the seasoning rate is slow similar to that of green wood put into a wood shed.

Do you guys burn your shorties and uglies bin after one year? Or does it still follow the three year plan that everyone loves on this site?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
While I don't have oak to burn or season, I too made a pallet bin for the first time this year and love it! So easy to toss the chunks and uglies in and not worry about trying to tediously stack them.

I would think the results would vary, given different weather and locations. That being said check a few with your moisture meter and I bet they dry faster than full size chunks. Good luck, and keep us posted.

LG...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any oak chunks that I have are left to season for a few years . . . but I have been known to burn some chunks after a year of seasoning as they tend to season pretty quickly . . . but generally I wait two years or so to burn them (usually I toss them aside when moving my seasoning stacks of wood into the woodshed and burn that stack of chunks, punks and uglies (also sorted out from the pile) that coming Fall. In fact, right now I have a bit of pine and some chunks burning away in the woodstove.

Cut real small on the splitter I thought they would do ok after one year in the bin. I tried some out in the outdoor pit and they hissed so I determined them not ready. My main concern is creosote buildup which I guess would be mitigated as long as I keep the air high on the stove?

I just throw them on top of my stacked rows, then burn them on the weekends when I'm less worried about long burn times. If they aren't completely dry I just give it a bit more air to stay hot but usually there is no problem since they tend to be small pieces.

I put uglies on the top of the stacks to hold tarps or to top of the stack of the normal splits.

They're usually aren't too many, so I don't really worry about how dry they are. They go into the flames when the wood around them goes.

Reactions: English BoB
I get a lot of shorties as a lot of my wood comes from a city wood pile. If it is under 12 inches it goes in the bins [ I have 2- 4x4x5 tall]. I rotate them every 2 years and haven't seen any hissing or water from any wood after 2 years in bins. Wife burns them on days as she can load them easy for her. If the bin is not full by the end of cutting season I cut a bunch in 1/2 for her. Why you ask- 4 1/2 years ago she had cancer and can not lift the splits with her one good arm the other is there but had a lot of damage so I make sure she has small wood to burn, shorties or small limbs she can load.

My chunks and uglies get burned in the fall - been working my way through them this month. I usually cut them up in July or August. They aren't really ready to burn but I just want them out of the way. Burned through a lot doing some fall camping and the rest will go in the stove next month.

My chunks and uglies get burned in the fall - been working my way through them this month. I usually cut them up in July or August. They aren't really ready to burn but I just want them out of the way. Burned through a lot doing some fall camping and the rest will go in the stove next month.

Do you find that burning stuff that is only seasoned a few months causes creosote problems?

I made one of those round dutch? wood piles and threw mtly short stuff into the middle as it went up.

what about roots? does anyone burn these? i figure if they are dried out, they go in the fire right?

Ugly oak doesn't dry any quicker. I put the larger ones on top of the pile or between rows and she you later.

bob

Do you find that burning stuff that is only seasoned a few months causes creosote problems?

I don't, probably because it's not that much burning over the course of the winter. If I was doing this for months then yes I would expect much more creosote.

I use them up slowly during full burns, like now. With stuff glowing all over the bottom
and a good flame going I toss a chunk in here and there for the overnite burn. Goes a bit slower
and I'm anal enough about the family's life riding on a clean chimney not to worry about creosote.
My chimney will never even make it to the point of being more than dirty. Easy to scrub, often if necessary.
Haven't needed to clean it more than once thus far but it gets flashlighted very regularly. During a good solid
burn and decent airflow what steam there is doesn't have much time to stick to walls on it's way up. My cap gets
black and brushed a few times now for a heads-up though. Wet wood does indeed give smoke particles sticky
properties in flight that will cling to cooler metal or masonry rather than bouncing off while exiting the system.

also, i think i am just going to have 3 major areas when I finally settle on a spot.... one for under 12", one for 12-18" and one for 18-22"...
yup. get the dirt off first
does that also include taking out the rocks? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.