Ugly drum smoker!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jb6l6gc

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2015
Cayuga, Ontario, Canada
Hello hearth!

Haven't been up to much since the great roof leak of 2016 lol (another thread). Finally getting around to a project I've been planning for over a year. It's called the ugly drum smoker.

I work at chemical company so a new unlined drum no problem. Upon searching for info. Much like I came across this site I came across the BBQ brethren! Anywho finally getting round to the project. Hope to have it completed by my bday. Cinco de mayo and do my first brisket.

Any info or help/ tips appreciated here is the progress pics ( which is just me burning paint off). And hopeful outcome.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this what an over fire on a stove pipe looks like. Definitely hit it on this barrel
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Don't know if anyone's even watching this thread but anywho. Here's today's progress. Got all the vents welded in

I'm watching.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Yeah, keep going. I need some inspiration.

Thanks I will. Now I need more parts to continue. All in with the dome lid, grills, and basket I'll be about 200$. The old BBQ frame coming from a friend at work who does scrapping. Plus he's gonna give me his old BBQ for me to repurpose into a charcoal grill. Welding to the drum was quite difficult as its so thin and I haven't welded in about 5yrs.

Once you cook with charcoal and smoke it's hard to even light the gas grill but convenience takes precedence sometimes!

Last edited:
Umm because I bought one for almost that much already and it's a piece of junk. These ugly drum smokers have a huge following and are very excellent smokers that have won many competitions. Plus I like the pride of having built it myself. You can buy pitbarrel smokers commercially made and they cost more than mine will to build. Plus mine will have
More features and be build better than the more expensive store bought ones.

I bought an Orion smoker for $139 and it is 100% stainless steel. Very high quality. Love it.

Projects are always a great thing. I just was trying to understand what the point is....I've done quite a bit of smoking myself on good and bad quality equipment.

Probably not 130$ Canadian. I am not a big fan of the Bradley's or any of the digital electric or propane units. It's like cheating to me I prefer old school charcoal.
I have a store bought vertical drum smoker that has so many air leaks and cannot be controlled.
These ugly drum smokers are extremely air tight and controllable. The charcoal basket hold enough charcoal to go at 225-250 for 14 hrs without even having to tend to it much. Once the air and temp are stable on these units they pretty much stay there. Like I said these ugly drum smokers or pit barrel smokers have a huge following

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Here's the charcoal basket. Made out of my old vertical drum smoker that was destined for scrap pile. Just need grill and lid now and she should be functional by this weekend. Then to mount to frame and paint!!

I like it. Stone simple and practical. The way smoking was intended to happen. I built my own smoker (of a different style) and love it. Smoke on, brother.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in seeing how this works. You'll have to walk us through the process of your first smoke.

Will the main heat source be wood or charcoal?

I'm very interested in seeing how this works. You'll have to walk us through the process of your first smoke.

Will the main heat source be wood or charcoal?
It will be charcoal. As its direct heating as the 1st grill will be about 24" above it followed by the (2nd to be added later under the dome lid. I went out today and bought a new kettle grill as they were on sale at the local hd for $74. Nice thing is I can use the grill and when I wanna use the drum just grab the grill and lid of it. I plan to get that grill assembled today and do sausage on it. Then do the spiral ham in the drum on Sunday!! Here's some pics from last nights wings I did on my tiny charcoal grill in the freezing rain!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 296
I like it. Stone simple and practical. The way smoking was intended to happen. I built by own smoker (of a different style) and love it. Smoke on, brother.
Curious to see yours?

In that pic it was sucking propane. I can also insert a charcoal bin and go that route, but whatever method I use gets hickory smoke applied to it.
The propane makes for a very easily controlled low temp environment (like 150F for 10 hours, for jerky and snack sticks).
IMG00008-20101105-1959_2.jpg

Amazing. Well folks got my new grill doing some sausage and drum smoker finished minus the frame and shelves

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 409
Well jags if I'm ever in northern Illinois I'll ring you up for some good q. Same goes if your ever in southern Ontario!!!

Reactions: Jags
Enjoying this. Would like to make my own. We sell pellet grills and green eggs at work, don't have the dough for those tho.

Not hard if u have a few tools and a bit of fabrication knowledge. I can break down all parts and work if u need! Lemme know