Ugly Flame Issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• Forester.jpg
    Forester.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 138
I think they meant lazy flame. Dirty stove syndrome or bad air leaks is more likely the culprit!

You are 100% correct Jay! ! ! I just saw the exploded view in the manual shown below!
This stove is the same shell as the Cumberland Castle with the huge ash chamber behind the firebox! The manual says nothing on how to clean it and I bet US Stove does not have much either!

Not a bad price for a 38.5 BTU stove.
Manual.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/175086.pd

So to test and clean it, all it takes is the same procedure as I found on the Castle!

The Ugly Flame is caused by the dirty HIDDEN ash chamber! Case closed!
See my pics, tests and procedure here! --- A clean stove is a happy stove!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...like-the-babycountryside.108286/#post-1425594

Don, How do you get into the dirty air chamber of the Castle? They run along vertically on the back side of the combustion chamber - where's the access (bottom/top)? I've seen them for around $900? Are they worth it?

Do they have the high limit switch like the Forrester?

Don, How do you get into the dirty air chamber of the Castle? They run along vertically on the back side of the combustion chamber - where's the access (bottom/top)? I've seen them for around $900? Are they worth it?

Do they have the high limit switch like the Forrester?

Both stoves have the same body or shell. Just take the covers off shown by the red arrows below. Put a compressor in the top and a vacuum in the bottom one and blow it out. My friend likes his stove because it puts out alot of heat. Now that it is clean it works like new. Not sure if the Hi Limit on the Castle is 200 or 250 but it is easy to change.

Attachments

• Castle&ForesterShell.jpg
    Castle&ForesterShell.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 185
Thanks Don ... learn a lot from your exploits in cleaning and repair. You must have that camera at the ready at all times;lol

Thanks Don ... learn a lot from your exploits in cleaning and repair. You must have that camera at the ready at all times;lol

Thanks, the camera is just an iPhone 5 that takes HD pics. :) I use it for accessing my biz database that I designed on an internet web server I built. It shows all the customers, venders, schedule and service manuals on the iPhone when I am on the road.

Click pics below to enlarge

Attachments

• WebServerManuals1.jpg
    WebServerManuals1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 154
  • WebServerManuals2.jpg
    WebServerManuals2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 146
Hello Lake girl

BTW
Did you see the Shed where I rebuild the pellet stoves and test them out?
I got a little help on here for it.

Shed detail and pics. The end of page 3 shows the final pic.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...m-channel-under-the-rake-boards-is-for.70576/

Even some great help on the Electrical so I could do it right myself and save!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...or-10-2-uf-b-and-is.76717/page-5#post-1134576

Click on pic to see the microwave too!
With cable for the television and a wood pellet stove it is a nice warm place for TV and beer!

Attachments

• ShedShelving.JPG
    ShedShelving.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 166
Database of manuals would be priceless when out servicing:) My oldest son had developed a platform in his IT course and has altered it slightly so his Dad can use it for a platform for on-line training for fire fighters in his department. Haven't gotten to the videos yet;lol Good system that can track test results and benchmarks for knowledge portions. Skills testing results are added after training sessions at the hall or their training ground.

All the comforts of home in that shed - heat, TV in the loft and microwave:cool:

Database of manuals would be priceless when out servicing:) My oldest son had developed a platform in his IT course and has altered it slightly so his Dad can use it for a platform for on-line training for fire fighters in his department. Haven't gotten to the videos yet;lol Good system that can track test results and benchmarks for knowledge portions. Skills testing results are added after training sessions at the hall or their training ground.

All the comforts of home in that shed - heat, TV in the loft and microwave:cool:

Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.