1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ugly Flame Issue?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I think they meant lazy flame. Dirty stove syndrome or bad air leaks is more likely the culprit!
    slvrblkk likes this.
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    You are 100% correct Jay! ! ! I just saw the exploded view in the manual shown below!
    This stove is the same shell as the Cumberland Castle with the huge ash chamber behind the firebox! The manual says nothing on how to clean it and I bet US Stove does not have much either!

Not a bad price for a 38.5 BTU stove.
    Manual.
    http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/175086.pd

So to test and clean it, all it takes is the same procedure as I found on the Castle!

The Ugly Flame is caused by the dirty HIDDEN ash chamber! Case closed!
    See my pics, tests and procedure here! --- A clean stove is a happy stove!
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...like-the-babycountryside.108286/#post-1425594
  4. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Don, How do you get into the dirty air chamber of the Castle? They run along vertically on the back side of the combustion chamber - where's the access (bottom/top)? I've seen them for around $900? Are they worth it?

Do they have the high limit switch like the Forrester?
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Both stoves have the same body or shell. Just take the covers off shown by the red arrows below. Put a compressor in the top and a vacuum in the bottom one and blow it out. My friend likes his stove because it puts out alot of heat. Now that it is clean it works like new. Not sure if the Hi Limit on the Castle is 200 or 250 but it is easy to change.

Attached Files:

6. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Thanks Don ... learn a lot from your exploits in cleaning and repair. You must have that camera at the ready at all times;lol
  7. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Thanks, the camera is just an iPhone 5 that takes HD pics. :) I use it for accessing my biz database that I designed on an internet web server I built. It shows all the customers, venders, schedule and service manuals on the iPhone when I am on the road.

Click pics below to enlarge

Attached Files:

8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello Lake girl

BTW
    Did you see the Shed where I rebuild the pellet stoves and test them out?
    I got a little help on here for it.

Shed detail and pics. The end of page 3 shows the final pic.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...m-channel-under-the-rake-boards-is-for.70576/

Even some great help on the Electrical so I could do it right myself and save!
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...or-10-2-uf-b-and-is.76717/page-5#post-1134576

Click on pic to see the microwave too!
    With cable for the television and a wood pellet stove it is a nice warm place for TV and beer!

Attached Files:

9. Lake Girl

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Database of manuals would be priceless when out servicing:) My oldest son had developed a platform in his IT course and has altered it slightly so his Dad can use it for a platform for on-line training for fire fighters in his department. Haven't gotten to the videos yet;lol Good system that can track test results and benchmarks for knowledge portions. Skills testing results are added after training sessions at the hall or their training ground.

All the comforts of home in that shed - heat, TV in the loft and microwave:cool:
  10. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Cool!