Ugly rear ends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have a pellet stove but due to a chimney fire the insurance company cut me a check for a new wood stove and liner. I chose the buck 81 due to cost vs looks. The wife hated it until the first night she was home by herself and the house was 41 degrees when she came in. Needless to say, she built a fire and has raves about it ever since

Reactions: Jason845845
Screenshot (282).png

Picture from MVAE owners manual. You can see the problem. Yes, plant or custom wrought iron would hide the side view of the rear end.

Chickenman, you are the BEST salesman by making us think. We are still going to explore.

Chickenman after 48 years of marriage bliss I am qualified to say this. You are an extremely wise man.
To the original poster the Harman Accenture will burn 50-50 pellets and corn. I would thin in youth location that would fill your bill nicely but I agree with chickenman there are natural gas stoves that are very nice looking. I also was in my Harman dealer last Saturday and they had some beautiful electric hang on the wall units.
Ron

Reactions: chickenman
You have done well.
Unfortunately I can give you numerous examples of the same story that ended extremely badly for the hubby.
Despite my name I dont like paying chicken with the misuss, it is a very hard game to win.
Indeed a hard game to win. I was overruled when I wanted to remove the surround to get more heat from the insert. Currently looking at installing a heatmor outdoor furnace. We live in a 1100 sqft log cabin. Originally built in 1873 with ax cut timbers. During the coldest driest part of the year the timbers shrink and it gets quite drafty

If you want quiet, avoid an insert - inserts tend to be nosier than free standing stoves
Huh? Half of the insert is buried in the fireplace opening and sealed off with the surround. The only noise I hear is the circulating air noise coming through the ill-thought-out decorative grates.

Nope. I'm the boss (as long as she doesn't see this).
I've been married 42 years (a couple of good years they were) and after the first 40, I decided that SHE could be boss for the next 40!

If good looks were the main concern the Thelin stoves are one of the best looking IMO. Hearthstone's Heritage model is pretty nice too.

Keep in mind I have no idea how well these actually run they just look pretty lol.

If good looks were the main concern the Thelin stoves are one of the best looking IMO. Hearthstone's Heritage model is pretty nice too.

Keep in mind I have no idea how well these actually run they just look pretty lol.
In my opinion, if it looks pretty, it's too high of maintenance and it will break your heart........................... Oh, we're talking about stoves!!!!!!!! Forgot!

The diagram that BronxBoy posted is indeed showing a terrible stove design. It's like they started with an existing woodstove, then grafted-on the needed equipment and a pellet hopper to turn it into a pellet stove, instead of designing one properly, from scratch. Maybe it's a good stove, but it's really ugly, imho.

Now the question I keep coming back to, if a stove can trigger eyesore issues, what on earth do you do with bags of pellets? Ash vac? Tools?
I suddenly picture row houses in Boston and think the basement could be a *long* ways away...

Best of luck,
- Jeff

Reactions: tjnamtiw and bags
I've had pretty good luck with my Cumberland 3650. Not sure they make them anymore though.

Reactions: bags
pS45 is pretty, lots of options.

Thanks for understanding my situation--a bit. No cornfields in the Bronx but plenty of garbage. In fact it's our #1 export. My hunch is that as wood pellets become more popular and prices go up, bio fuels from things like urban recyclables will be a wave of the future.

One more Q, gents. Thin is a plus in a 15ft wide room. Any suggestions about low depth stoves? Again my wish list is quiet, low maintenance, multi-fuel, pretty and thin.

Could make it to the St. Croix dealer today, perhaps tomorrow. Is it true about their poor service? I will check out Thelin.

BTW, Chickenman, my wife was showing stove brochures to our daughter)in-law.

Indeed a hard game to win. I was overruled when I wanted to remove the surround to get more heat from the insert. Currently looking at installing a heatmor outdoor furnace. We live in a 1100 sqft log cabin. Originally built in 1873 with ax cut timbers. During the coldest driest part of the year the timbers shrink and it gets quite drafty
Do you have the joints chinked? Log chinking will expand close to 80% of the joint height. The bozo I bought my log home from decided to save some money and fill all joints with silicone chaulk, took me a year to remove that crap, put backer rod in then chink, made a huge difference in air infiltration

Do you have the joints chinked? Log chinking will expand close to 80% of the joint height. The bozo I bought my log home from decided to save some money and fill all joints with silicone chaulk, took me a year to remove that crap, put backer rod in then chink, made a huge difference in air infiltration
Perma-chink................Google it.

Are there any regulations/by-laws about wood burning appliances? Row house - how many floors? Venting might get interesting.

She's not a multi-fuel but my Ravelli/Ecoteck Elena is pretty ... the Piazzettas have a similar look. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pics-of-your-purdy-stoves-lets-see-em.122310/#post-1638688

Bronxboy - the type of stove you're envisioning in the future is not made yet - nothing out there that uses "urban recyclables" - edit: It's a good thought though! Some pellets are made from reclaimed wood but their ratings are not the greatest.

pS45 is pretty, lots of options.

Thanks for understanding my situation--a bit. No cornfields in the Bronx but plenty of garbage. In fact it's our #1 export. My hunch is that as wood pellets become more popular and prices go up, bio fuels from things like urban recyclables will be a wave of the future.

One more Q, gents. Thin is a plus in a 15ft wide room. Any suggestions about low depth stoves? Again my wish list is quiet, low maintenance, multi-fuel, pretty and thin.

Could make it to the St. Croix dealer today, perhaps tomorrow. Is it true about their poor service? I will check out Thelin.

BTW, Chickenman, my wife was showing stove brochures to our daughter)in-law.

Somehow, I think this deal might not be feasible for you?? I hope it works out. Straight shooting you here. There is work involved. Period. Cheaper heat isn't free.

How many bags can you fit into the trunk of a cab anyway? Meter running (No problem, hand the driver a doobie and a fifth of Maker's Mark, plenty of time now). Who is carrying? Pallets (1 ton per) ( 3-4 tons is what you'll need) are out unless you own a helo and have roof top elevator access on your roof top. Something to think about..........LOGISTICS. I'm sure extra-curricula isn't to hard to come by for keeping the cabby busy. Trunk space is.....,a long with, storing pellets, getting pellets to where you use them, etc; and packing 40 lbs one step at a time. Don't worry about decorating the sides of the "ugly rear." Bags of pellets will solve that dilemma. Done. You with me?

Get rid off the gym membership. Parking for off loads costs? Cut holes into you next door buddies walls,,, they will never know. LOL! Just trying to take the fluff out so you might not need to take a thrashing from your better thinking decorative half. Row house = steps and storage. Motor thru it. Is it worth it?

I am loving my pellet stove. I live on a farm in KY. If I lived on a boat, which I have, it makes no sense as great as they are. Big house boats ............. still very questionable. You do your own math. I'll leave the bubble bursting up to the softwood pellet Lake Girl. P68 is fired up, ma'am! I stand corrected!

Yes I have read most posts,grew up back east(western MD) chink your house!My cabin log part was built before I moved out here,1988,swedish cope,and being this close to the thermal disaster known as yellowstone park,the ground moves all the time,and temperature affects logs/all wood.The log parts of my house I have permachinked on the outside,some on the inside(swedish cope,look it up).My neighbors house(log) was chinked with cement from about 1993.They are both holding up about the same except I get 3 times the sun load as I am not in a hole,low daily sun.Why would you not fix the air leaks other than you want to keep it "historic"which is dumber than s***.Read this forum,seal your house,please!

Status
Not open for further replies.