UGLY wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tymbee

Dec 2, 2011
Upstate NY
A lot of heat here, BUT... :confused: ugly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I had one like that. Not something I would take as a free scrounge thats for sure.

Lumberjack version of American ninja warrior. !!!

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
looks like 90% of things in my yard right now :)

Here is my ugly wood I need to work on, free wood can't be passed up. About 6ft tall as it lays, almost 9ft long. Now I just need to get my saw rebuilt so I can chunk this bad boy up

Attachments

• IMG_20161121_095542.jpg
    IMG_20161121_095542.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20161121_095524.jpg
    IMG_20161121_095524.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 350
No thanks. All knots!

I'm spoiled..most of the trees I take down on my property and tall and straight with minimal branches.

Was a free drop. Next time I will be getting a little more specific when using Chipdrop

I don't know. doesn't look all that bad to me. Just cut off all the protruding limbs parallel to the main trunk and then buck it up to whatever lengths you want. Save the random sized limbs as "uglies" and then split the rest. Wood is wood.

Yep free BTU's, maybe a bit extra work , but beggars can't always be choosers.

That is your best firewood, the knots and limbs make the fibers much tighter, I was always told pieces like that produce the best firewood you just have to work a little more for it. A couple old farmers told me this maybe they were full of it but the wood is tough to split so it kinda of makes sense. Plus free is free!

Reactions: TheBigIron
Here is my ugly wood I need to work on, free wood can't be passed up. About 6ft tall as it lays, almost 9ft long. Now I just need to get my saw rebuilt so I can chunk this bad boy up

Yikes-- you may have me beat. Quite a challenge. As my father would say: "That's been a tree for a long time". :)

Yep free BTU's, maybe a bit extra work , but beggars can't always be choosers.

Fortunately we have no shortage of trees to cull out on the property for firewood so it's more about time. Could probably fell/cut/split a cord of "nicer" stuff in as long as it would take me to hack up this guy. Not to say that sometimes I'll take on a chunk like this just for the challenge of it. In this case it ended up as a centerpiece of a large burn pile.

That would have stayed right where it dropped in somebody's yard or in the woods. My time and wear and tear on $$$ equipment costs too much to deal with that crap.

A lot of heat here, BUT... :confused: View attachment 188523
Looks like about 3 hours with a saw, maul and wedges, rock on. That is a lotta btu's for sure.
Is that a cedar stump ya have there?

For some reason, I see a coffee table. :)

I have a wood worker neighbor, going to discuss the possibility of a table. I think it must have been just advice ground cut. You can't see in the pictures but there are 6 main sticks coming off it, smallest being 12 to 14 inches across

Status
Not open for further replies.