UK storms have boosted my wood supply!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
Over the last couple of months or so, we have had several very windy days, and there have been numerous trees down all over the place. I have been very busy trying to get as much wood in and processed as possible. The wheelbarrow and our small hatchback car have all been overloaded at times, but the end result is worth it. Loads of (sort of) free wood, and all happily seasoning now ready for future use. the great thing is that we already have our wood for 2012-13 nicely seasoned, and the silver birch that lost a limb on the trail behind our house will be going into our 2013-14 wood pile. Most of the scrounging was oak, which is for longer term seasoning, possibly winter 2015-16. Our wood piles look pretty good now, although with so many stacks everywhere, it's a tad difficult working out how many cords I have got.

Below, damaged birch behind our house

SilverBirchwinddamageJun2012.jpg

below - oak in the back of our Ford Fiesta!!!!

Oakscrounge20thJune.jpg

Below - wood stacks in our back garden........

Wood26thJune3.jpg

Wood26thJune1.jpg

Wood26thJune2.jpg

Dang, I've got a Focus (traded in my Bronco), I'm envious!!

Great pictures.
Looks like quite a bit of birch.
Seeing all the moss, you must've had a wet/damp spring.

Very nice stacks.

It was very wet Spring, May and June were the wettest on record, at least the wood for next season is stacked under cover, and already seasoned.

Plenty of birch there, but quite a lot of oak too, and some white poplar, goat willow, and a few bits of cherry and sycamore.

And yes Jags, that wheelbarrow has quite a stack on board, no point in it sitting there half empty
wink.gif

LoL. You Sir, are about out of space.

We are working on our driest June in history. 21 days with no rain and only a trace coming in then next 2 weeks.

My stacks are drying quickly.

What's the contraption in the third photo...a bone shaker?

Looks good Neil !!

I loved my Ford Fiesta !!

And you have a palm tree growing behind your stacks!

I was wondering how you were going to tie that giant limb in the first picture to your bike. ;)

Looks like you've been very busy, Woodchip! :eek:
It seems to me that previous pics of the patio showed only a couple of small stacks...

Yes, they have grown a bit, this picture is of the original half cord of wood which I actually paid £120 for 18 months ago.

All the wood that has been acquired since has been free, the original half cord has shunk physically as well as in comparison to what has been scrounged
wink.gif

IMG_3397.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.