UL approved and EPA approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the stoves that are EPA exempt are not air tight. No gaskets, so they let more air in and burn hot, and fast, and relatively clean. The old pot belly stoves or some of the Voglezang stoves are examples. If they don't have a UL label they are probably illegal to install now a days. Most insurance companies require UL labels.

Metal said:
I know it is semantics, but UL does not "approve" anything, they simply test it to a standard and then "list" it to that standard, which means it passed applicable testing.

I don't believe Jotul Gas Stoves are UL Approved. I don't know about their woodstoves.

John

Metal, your correct now, but I may be a little older than you, and they always had yellow UL approved labels on products. They even advertised on TV look for the UL approved label.

Virtually ALL stoves are tested and listed to the current standards. Some of these are UL and some others are ULC (UL Canada), etc.

Most stove manufactures use OTHER labs (not UL), which test and list to the same standards - so you will see names like Warnock-Hersey, Omni, or Northwest Labs on your label.

The above covers SAFETY testing.

EPA testing is for how clean the product burns. It is required for room (space) heaters which are "airtight" and in a certain size range. However, there are many exemptions, such as for coal stoves, cook stoves, furnaces, masonry stoves, open fireplaces, etc......

Outdoor stoves are not subject to these tests because....they are not in the house! Some, however, are tested to certain construction standards.

In the U.S. wood and gas stoves are tested and certified by independent testing labs. The two largest being Warnock Hersey (Intertek) and OMNI. These independent companies test the stoves for compliance with UL safety standards and EPA emissions standards. The stoves are then listed as compliant by the laboratory organization, not UL.

That Jotul F600 Firelight has a label on it certifying that Warnock Hersey has it listed. On that label are the UL and ULC (UL Canada) standards that were used in the testing.

Edit: Craig and I were typing at the same time.

Acccording the the international Mechanical codes Aall appliances must be listed and labled.
In !979 UL set the standard to which all wood stoves were to be tested to carry the UL approval

In 1990 EPA established effeciency and emission stardards the all wood stoves had to comply to to be sold in USA

I really do not know where people can legally install the exempt stoves are only to EPA standards not exempt to UL compliance

No allpiance may be installed in any part of occupiable space that is not listed lablebed permitted and passing inspections No wood stoves can be used ina garage
so I guess un lable un listed wood stoves can be installed in un attached out buildings like sheds that are not considered as occupiable spaces.

Quadrafire units are tested and listed by OMNI since they are close to the colville mfg plant. All other HHT products are listed with UL.

UL sets the standard at which stoves are safety tested, they do not actively test them, labs like intertek or omni do that to the UL standard ULC is canadian counterpart. these are not emmissions tests. EPA sets the standard for emmissions, there are 2 categories, epa certified, and epa exempt. certified units must meet phase 2 standards for particulate matter (GPH) epa exempt units must have a minimum of 35/1 air fuel ratio. this means that the unit must allow enough air through the unit to burn very lean and cannot be regulated by an attachment or device that is a physical part of the stove to choke it down past that ratio. usually these units are controlled by an "in flue" damper but generally they burn fast and hot. another exempt category is pellet and corn stoves. naturally with the forced draft they use a lot of air so they easily meet the 35/1 ratio. i imagine soon that epa exempt pellet units will not be around as its not that difficult to get them under phase 2 standards. corn or biomass stoves fall under exempt status for now, but epa will likely be placing standards on them in the near future for certification as well, now OWB's , thats a dogs breakfast right now. hopefully standards will be applied to them soon as well, IMHO they give the companies in the industry who are workiing hard to clean up woodburning a bad rep by association.

I think the "standards" are set by ANSI. UL is a testing and listing agency.

A rep from UL goes out to our Lake City (Heat & Glo) mfg facility to have the engineers runs specific tests on the units before they get the UL stamp of approval. Out of a large number of tests that UL says the fireplace must meet they pick a handful and spend a full day testing the unit.

jtp10181 said:

A rep from UL goes out to our Lake City (Heat & Glo) mfg facility to have the engineers runs specific tests on the units before they get the UL stamp of approval. Out of a large number of tests that UL says the fireplace must meet they pick a handful and spend a full day testing the unit.

Heat & Glo fireplaces are listed by UL. Their stoves are tested and listed by OMNI.

BrotherBart said:
jtp10181 said:

Heat & Glo fireplaces are listed by UL. Their stoves are tested and listed by OMNI.

Thats because the Stoves are made at the QUAD mfg facility in Colville which uses OMNI. A lot of the QUAD gas fireplaces are made at the HNG plant and also a lot of the HNG open face wood units are made at the Heatilator plant, etc.... Its kinda confusing sometimes esp when you want to talk to an engineer or someone who really knows a lot about the unit. Gotta first figure out which plant they make the thing at.

Status
Not open for further replies.