UL Listing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edwards

Jun 26, 2018
wisconsin
20180217_103136.jpg 20171208_160647.jpg Hi -I have read this forum extensively and am looking for information on my stove. I purchased this stove from my grandparents for too much $$$ based on what I am learning.That's alright though - I'm happy it go to them and I have a pretty nice usable stove. I believe it to be a grandpa model 1980s or after - it has the nickel plating, fire screen, but NO UL tag which is a real problem and I need a tag. My question is if this is UL listed but may the tag have been taken off when refinished? It does have the riveted (caution?)tag on the ash tray that is faded red in color. My husband and I are renovating a cordwood barn into a cabin and thus have to pass UDC inspection. The stove is already installed and ran beautifully all winter (2 miles from Lake Superior). I don't want a different stove. Can you have UL tags made by those companies who make repro tags for antique tractors if you can show them that yours was indeed listed? Any help or info appreciated. thanks!

Attachments

• 20180106_155600.jpg
    20180106_155600.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 20180106_160452.jpg
    20180106_160452.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 381
Correction- the tag on the ash tray is not red - it is black and gold. Also this has an inside baffle but is bent(humped) up - is that standard?! And it has the heat shield on the back. Anyone have a tag I can buy? This had to have been listed based on my research on these threads.

Welcome to the forum;

Your stove is a Series III Grandpa that was a UL tested (listed) stove. The tag should have been attached to the rear heat shield.
Series III was from 1979 to 1988.
Only manufacturers are allowed to attach UL tags and it is illegal to sell or obtain one to attach from another stove. That would be like removing a VIN serial number from one vehicle and putting it on another.
Once a tag is removed or missing it is no longer listed. Some inspectors accept an owners manual that has the listing number on it (yours being tested to Standard 1482) and printable here;
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/fischermanual.pdf

Series III has a Smoke Shelf Baffle, and if warped badly can be straightened easily if it will remove from stove. If not, you can simply put a board on the stove bottom to protect bricks and using a car jack or small hydraulic jack, bow the baffle upward back into position.

The following pictures show the UL tag changes through the years;

Gullickson tag III.jpg Grandma III 7.jpg

GM III CO. CL rear.jpg GP III Tag.JPG

A UL testing Standard is specified by UL, but not all testing is now done by them. There are many approved Testing Labs across the US and Canada such as Warnock Hersey that do the actual testing of new products to the UL Standard required for that product. This was back in the infancy of testing when UL was the only nationally approved testing facility. Before that, most Fisher Stoves were tested by Labs from 4 sections of the US. Different jurisdictions (states) didn't accept others testing standards and tags were not used. Fisher was involved with standardizing the testing and educating insurance companies of correct installation before it was required by Codes that were taken from NFPA Standard 211. It cost a small fortune testing stoves across the country when there was no standard accepted nation wide. The UL testing is what sets the safe clearances on the tag and in the manual which is a part of the approval process.

My question is, if this is already installed when inspected, why isn't it grandfathered? If it were installed new, UL testing would not have been required like a NEW installation today. An inspector can't tell when a stove was installed unless they were involved with the building before it was sold and have documentation that there was no stove there. You can replace the chimney and maintain what you have, but as long as the stove was there before their codes were passed, they can't make you remove it. A NEW installation requires all appliances to be UL Listed.

Last edited: