Ultra Copper RTV for door gasket adhesive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby074

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2011
Nova Scotia
Anybody ever use Ultra Copper RTV http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail (or other high heat RTV) for gasket adhesive?

Going to change the door gasket on my Alderlea, usually I use the "liquid glass" adhesive or the gray gasket cement but neither is overly impressive and would like to try something else.

Usually I use the graphite gaskets, but would try the old school white fiberglass if it would stay stuck better (or be tougher) because I dont really see any advantage with the graphite. I find the graphite easy to tear strands from when it gets hit while loading the stove, the old stuff seams tougher.

Ultra copper is rated to 700*F. That should be high enough for a door?

I tried Permatex Blue high temp to touch up areas where the factory gasket wasn't glued well and it turned into solid rock. It took forever to clean out when I replaced the gasket last year. Maybe the copper will work better. Don't know. I used Meeco Gasket cement for the new gasket.

The graphite is just good for when the paint on the stove is new to keep the gasket from sticking to the paint.

Got the ultra copper today to try. Guy at the store said lots of guys use it for stove gaskets. Will post back if there are any issues .

Status
Not open for further replies.