Um help?? Mosquitoes coming into house through Oslo. Under attack!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marajade

Nov 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Mayday! We surrender!!

Seriously hordes of them. How do we stop them!

We live near a wetlands but I swear there are more in my house than the yard.

Sure they are coming through the stove? Never heard of it. You could pull the baffle and stuff something in the flue; that should stop them. Leave the baffle lying the firebox as a reminder that the flue is blocked. Or simply try spraying/placing some mosquito repellant in the stove. Maybe that's already enough.

Reactions: Ashful
seal off chimney maybe? a garbage bag and some duct tape may do the trick...

Need the zip code to calculate the shipping.

Close the door??? Seriously though, how do you think it's possible for this to be happening?

No outside air kit. The door is closed.

They are coming down the flue and then through the grates at the bottom of the stove.

I enjoyed lighting them on fire this morning ;)

We figured out that if we lay thick cardboard over the grates it stops them from getting in the house.

I think I'll stack some wood over the cardboard today so it is hidden and the whole thing looks pretty for the summer.

My husband doesn't want to go on the roof and cover the chimney.

This is strange. How can they get into the house if the ash door is closed? I've never had bugs come in via the stove.

No outside air kit. The door is closed.

They are coming down the flue and then through the grates at the bottom of the stove.....

I think I'll stack some wood over the cardboard today so it is hidden and the whole thing looks pretty for the summer.

My husband doesn't want to go on the roof and cover the chimney.

Would be a great time to clean the flue also!;)

I don't see the mystery. Every stove has primary and secondary air inlets, sometimes combined into a single source. All EPA stoves are required to prevent you shutting off all air, so some part of those passages remain open. Any bug that can fly can enter the chimney and emerge into the house using that air inlet to the stove. Quit pretending the OP is wrong and please help her figure this out.

Reactions: marajade
If this is temporary maybe put one of those long burning mosquito coils in the stove. If this is a common occurrence then maybe put a balloon in the flue exit?

Do your own pest control....... .com

It hasn't happened again since the episode last week. Maybe there was a weird barometric pressure condition pulling them into the house? Next time it's rainy we shall see if it happens again

Have a mosquito coil or citronella candle handy in case they reappear.

This is a common occurrence here. The last three days, I've killed a mosquito about every fifteen minutes from sundown, until I gave up and pulled sheet over my head to go to sleep. One August, when it was about 95 degrees out, my cousin and her husband lit a fire in their fireplace because the mosquitoes swarmed down.

The mosquitoes are awful outside now...I can't quite figure why, as we are very dry. I have never seen as many dragonflies as I have darting around my yard.

If I keep having the mosquitoes coming in through the stove, I figure I'll stuff a piece of insulation in the bottom of the stovepipe.

I'm sure they just come down the chimney and out the air supplies. Mosquitoes find me...people love being near me when there are mosquitoes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.