Un-used solar panel on Camper Through winter- Can I use it for something??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
Anyone have ideas on how I can take advantage of a panel thats on my camper through the winter months?
Its about A 24 X 42" panel. Not sure the watt. Turing camping season, It charges 2 batteries, and I have a 3000 watt power inverter.
The batteries are Unhooked for the winter, and I think they need replaced, because when charged up fully, I could only run light powered stuff only for 20 min or do.
Sound like bad batteries?

barnartist said:
Anyone have ideas on how I can take advantage of a panel thats on my camper through the winter months?
Its about A 24 X 42" panel. Not sure the watt. Turing camping season, It charges 2 batteries, and I have a 3000 watt power inverter.
The batteries are Unhooked for the winter, and I think they need replaced, because when charged up fully, I could only run light powered stuff only for 20 min or do.
Sound like bad batteries?
The descriptions a bit vague, but it does sound like the batteries are tired... The only thing I could think of to do with it is to try and feed it back into your house electrics, but I suspect that it would need some interesting circuitry to do that safely, and without cooking things - I suspect your panel is only good for 1-200 watts at best, how long did it take to charge your batteries when they were new, and how long could you run on them? While it might take a nibble out of your electric bill, I doubt that it would be a very big one, not sure it would be worth it.

Gooserider

Thanks Goose. I have since replaced the batteries. I haven't given them a good test yet though. They seem to charge up very quickly in good sunny conditions. Im not sure the wattage of the panel, it is about a 20"x40" panel.
This part of Ohio sees too many cloudy days I think to take advantage of it, especially this time of year. I was just curios if anyone smarter than me had come up with something fun to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.