1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Un-used solar panel on Camper Through winter- Can I use it for something??

Post in 'The Green Room' started by barnartist, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnartist

barnartist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    Anyone have ideas on how I can take advantage of a panel thats on my camper through the winter months?
    Its about A 24 X 42" panel. Not sure the watt. Turing camping season, It charges 2 batteries, and I have a 3000 watt power inverter.
    The batteries are Unhooked for the winter, and I think they need replaced, because when charged up fully, I could only run light powered stuff only for 20 min or do.
    Sound like bad batteries?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    The descriptions a bit vague, but it does sound like the batteries are tired... The only thing I could think of to do with it is to try and feed it back into your house electrics, but I suspect that it would need some interesting circuitry to do that safely, and without cooking things - I suspect your panel is only good for 1-200 watts at best, how long did it take to charge your batteries when they were new, and how long could you run on them? While it might take a nibble out of your electric bill, I doubt that it would be a very big one, not sure it would be worth it.

Gooserider
  3. barnartist

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    Thanks Goose. I have since replaced the batteries. I haven't given them a good test yet though. They seem to charge up very quickly in good sunny conditions. Im not sure the wattage of the panel, it is about a 20"x40" panel.
    This part of Ohio sees too many cloudy days I think to take advantage of it, especially this time of year. I was just curios if anyone smarter than me had come up with something fun to try.
  4. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    hook up an inverter and use it for a backup to run the furnace incase of power outage.
    leaddog
  5. barnartist

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    Its inverted and ready!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.